DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 16:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 16:46 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4986
Location: Australia
You may be able to remove the input cap but make sure you do not see any voltage on the input.

_________________
Projects: "Grace" - Psvane 6SN7-SE Globe preamp | | "VoXUno" - Single driver MarkAudio 12P speaker | | "Lagoon Take 2" - Single stage tube preamp | Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 23:57 
Offline

Joined: 20 Jul 2016, 04:05
Posts: 2
Thanks. Do you mean the C1 (100nF) cap? Which value should I try to just release the bass and keep blocking any voltage at the input?

PS: Curious about being this cap, I'll would never suspect about it. I thought that could be the 4.7uF or some components at the inner stage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 18:04 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4986
Location: Australia
Never make the caps too big. You could try slightly larger in both spots but it may do nothing. Generally as long as your previous stage has an out out cap you can remove the input cap.

_________________
Projects: "Grace" - Psvane 6SN7-SE Globe preamp | | "VoXUno" - Single driver MarkAudio 12P speaker | | "Lagoon Take 2" - Single stage tube preamp | Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 07:59 
Offline

Joined: 17 Mar 2017, 11:07
Posts: 13
Here's my Oatlety pe-amp working nicely. (No sandbed needed, thank you).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cAJjpmlZrU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 10:23 
Offline

Joined: 17 Mar 2017, 11:07
Posts: 13
Attachment:
20171201_155245.jpg
Here it is. There was a bit of harmonic distortion from the valves whistling but it soon settled down and was then very quiet. Lovely sound sweet and clear.
Attachment:
20171201_155227.jpg


This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 18:28 
Offline
Project Author
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2008, 18:23
Posts: 4986
Location: Australia
Good one.

_________________
Projects: "Grace" - Psvane 6SN7-SE Globe preamp | | "VoXUno" - Single driver MarkAudio 12P speaker | | "Lagoon Take 2" - Single stage tube preamp | Website: retro-thermionic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 14:46 
Offline

Joined: 29 Mar 2018, 07:47
Posts: 5
Apologies for adding to an old thread, but I've recently obtained an (unbuilt) second hand K301 Oatley kit to experiment with. Having soldered up the power supply I find I am measuring ~56V at the output not 30V, so I must have done something wrong! What's the most likely cause?

David.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 03:53 
Offline

Joined: 29 Mar 2018, 07:47
Posts: 5
It must be one or both zeners that have gone open circuit, right? And hence I'm seeing the unregulated voltage. I think I may get a couple more just to try. Anyone know what part number I should replace them with? The markings on these damn things is way too small for my ageing eyes!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 13:04 
Offline

Joined: 29 Mar 2018, 07:47
Posts: 5
I've removed what I thought were the zeners and under a magnifying glass can see they are marked 4148. A quick search on the net indicates that these are not zeners at all, but normal signal diodes!? So unless I am mistaken, Oatley must have accidentally put the wrong ones in the kit. I've ordered a pack of BZX85C15 zeners - hopefully these are going to be ok.

I've also been wondering whether it's safe to test the output voltage of the power supply without having a load attached? I.e. Is turning it on with no load going to put too much current through the zeners?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 00:38 
Offline

Joined: 29 Mar 2018, 07:47
Posts: 5
Success! With actual zeners in the voltage is now stable at a shade under 30V. So I've completed the kit and it am pleased to report that it actually works! Inside an alu case I am getting some microphonic feedback from the tubes, plus a small amount of mains hum. I guess the case needs dampening and a strip of metal to separate the power supply, so not quite finished yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy