DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 03:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: 6EM7 power amp
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 08:27 

I have built my 2nd tube amp and have posted how the new 6CB5A sounds on the thread I started and it is an amazing amp that sounds a lot like a good Class A SS amp, quick, good bass and clean but I returned this 6EM7 to my system for a listen and this amp does have a more colored sound but it is so musical, so enjoyable to listen to with respectable bass, non tiring with as good if not better sound stage than the 6CB5A. This amp has more of a tube sound with my horn speakers of which I am enjoying. Amps and speakers are supposed to entertain and this amp is a very good and does a good job of entertaining and an amplifier that is not expensive to build. Others should give it a try. I previously had it hooked up to some cheap 86db kitchen speakers and it sounds great with them too with plenty of power to drive them with all the volume I needed in the kitchen. This thread needed a bump to not be forgotten.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 12:02 
Project Author

wdecho wrote:
This thread needed a bump to not be forgotten.
Yup. Don't forget we have the 6EM7 Vertical amp project page as well. 6EM7 Single-Ended Triode (SET) Vertical Amplifier
Attachment:
Chassis First Look 1s.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 18:02 
Project Author

Still regret selling my last 6EM7 power amp - Abstinence.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 20:54 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
Don't forget we have the 6EM7 Vertical amp project page as well.
I also meant to include this link as well. Vertical 6EM7 Portable Amp

Lots of good stuff in these forums. :thumbsup:

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 07:34 

bump

I started writing about my next build but thought better of it on this thread. Not polite to hijack a thread and this thread is about the 6EM7.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 10:42 

Thinking about building one of these as my next project. There is good info on the project page http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6EM7-SET-Amplifier/ but I've got a couple of questions in case anyone is still following this thread. First, is this still a recommended design for a modest cost stereo SET with performance in the 2 wpc range? I'd be using in in a small study with relatively efficient speakers. I'd like to do a tube rectified power supply to get some experience with that, and I am intrigued by the dual triode 6EM7 types.

One specific issue already- it isn't easy to find an 8H 150 ohm inductor or anything very close for the first filter choke. What about the Edcor CXC100-7H-150mA? Would this have sufficient current rating?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 11:24 
Project Author

eshazen wrote:
it isn't easy to find an 8H 150 ohm inductor or anything very close for the first filter choke. What about the Edcor CXC100-7H-150mA? Would this have sufficient current rating?
Yes the Edcor will work fine but it's a little expensive. I would recommend a Triad C-14X instead. This 6H choke will work fine in this application.

Cascade Tubes Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25