DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 03:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: MCA - Son of ZCA
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 13:34 

Thanks Mark.

Unfortunately the 2sk1058 turned out to be a fake, so it looks like I'm going try out the MCA first as I have the 2n3055 already, though I'll be using a different jfet, will see how it goes and report back.

Not sure where this question belongs, so I'll just ask here: How well do you think you can judge distortion without access to any costly THD analyzer, 'scope or by ear?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 19:13 
Project Author

gasboss775 wrote:
Thanks Mark.

Unfortunately the 2sk1058 turned out to be a fake, so it looks like I'm going try out the MCA first as I have the 2n3055 already, though I'll be using a different jfet, will see how it goes and report back.

Not sure where this question belongs, so I'll just ask here: How well do you think you can judge distortion without access to any costly THD analyzer, 'scope or by ear?

Every system has distortion, pick the distortion you like best and stay with it. If it sounds good, it is good. Perception is reality.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 20:00 

mwhouston wrote:
Every system has distortion, pick the distortion you like best and stay with it. If it sounds good, it is good. Perception is reality.

Yet there seems to be this quest for some sort of distortionless ultimate reality. :confused:

At the suggestion from a member of diyaudio.com I will be trying the 2n5458 instead of the 2sk170, though I have found a source for the 2sk170; http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com ( They are based in London and have been around for years ), will order some 2sk170's from them at the end of the week, along with the 2sk1085.

Some pictures of the big heatsink I'll be using, the second one shows the rogue 2sk1058 attached:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 11:54 

Update on my MCA project:

I now have obtained the 2sk170 transistors, however in the meantime I threw toghether my own Minimal Component Amplifier, see here:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5122

I will be trying out Marks MCA soon, I've also managed to get what appears to be a genuine 2sk1058 ( from: http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com they are in London, uk, they also supplied the 2sk170's.)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 19:33 

Hi guys, just a question about the power supply. If i ușe a 2.25 mH choke is it ok? I donț have a 10 mH one. Or maybe add some more wire...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 03:00 
Project Author

Bibiku wrote:
Hi guys, just a question about the power supply. If i ușe a 2.25 mH choke is it ok? I donț have a 10 mH one. Or maybe add some more wire...

Great go for it.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 14:50 

One more question, just to be sure.. If i ușe 4 ohm loads will there be problems? I have 2 full range 6w speakers from like 1980 that sound great and i really want to use them with this amp.
Thank You .

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 19:10 
Project Author

Bibiku wrote:
One more question, just to be sure.. If i ușe 4 ohm loads will there be problems? I have 2 full range 6w speakers from like 1980 that sound great and i really want to use them with this amp.
Thank You .

8 would be better but try and see how it sounds. You may get some clipping earlier that's all.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 12:46 

My MCA finished

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2015, 13:49 

: nice :beerchug:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next