DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 14:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 05:09 
Project Author

My good friend Bill has some crazy expensive hifi gear. He has also bought some of my home grown goodies to supplement his gorgeous high-end stuff. Also he travels to NZ regularly and has some very classy high-end ear buds. BUT the plain's audio system fails to drive them to their best. CMoy to the rescue!

Bill gave me one solid, immovable mandate in two parts: Small and light. When checking out the specs of most OPAMP chips; LM833 and OPA2134 (my fav.) I discovered they will work down to +/- 2.5V. I'm running this fledgling on a single 9V battery with a differential resistive and capacitive network to give me +/-4.5V. OK not a lot of headroom but I'm working under tough conditions here.

A small Jaycar ABS enclosure will house all parts and battery required. I use prototype brds. I bought from Stiff Dick many years ago. When on the LED just glows to show some one is home. At 152gm with battery and being a little larger than the palm of your hand I think I have met all mandates. Not only that it sounds fine (short listen so far).

As you can see I work in 3D when it comes to cct. bds. The whole shebang is silver soldered and solid core fine copper wire hooks it all up. The two tone ABS enclosure is lined with bitumanised heavy Al foil for screening and resonance control. It will carry a "retro-thermionic" decal and will be delivered in a black velvet slim fitting bag. What a spoil!
Attachment:
Underneath.jpg
Attachment:
Inside.jpg
Attachment:
Finished.jpg
Attachment:
Finished_II.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 12:34 

What impedance h/phones can it drive? I've got some lm833 and one of those little radio shack prototype boards. Do you have a schematic and / or a layout drawing?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 18:09 
Project Author

gasboss775 wrote:
What impedance h/phones can it drive? I've got some lm833 and one of those little radio shack prototype boards. Do you have a schematic and / or a layout drawing?

The CMoy design is what I used.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/CMoy-G ... phone-Amp/

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 17:11 
Project Author

I have since discovered that the LM833 wants at least a +\-5V PS. Had to achieve with a single 9V battery. I going to change the chip to an OPA2134 which wil go as low as +\-2.5V. Pity because the HP amp sounded so good with this chip.

Also my Kiwi mate has 12ohm buds. They just distort. To fix this I'm adding a 22ohm resistor in each output leg. I have used my 33ohm phones with no problem.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 08:26 
Project Author

Replaced the LM833 with an OPA2134. It drives those 12ohm phones well. No need for the resistor. Not only that it handles the low voltage PS much better.