DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 05:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 63  Next
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 04:42 

Hi All,

My name is Aner, and I live in Haifa, Israel. It has been a few dozen years since I learned about vacuum tubes in high school, so few years ago I decided to go back and actually build a tube amp. I started with building a WE91 based 300B SET clone (stereo). It took me more then a year to gather the parts and another year to build, but now it looks and working great! Now I am in the process of building gofar99's RIAA pre amplifier. I have already started the actual build, but due to time limitations, this may take some more time... I am very glad and proud to be part of this forum and the vacuum tube projects building community.

Regards,
Aner

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 11:25 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forums. A worthy project. I warn everyone that layout and grounding are really important with this preamp. I am a fanatic about noise and hum and with a careful build this is a really quiet preamp (two of my prototypes hit the -100 dbv mark). With a poor build the performance is only average. So take time with the layout and as always as questions. Be sure the tubes you use are quiet ones. Some that claim to be are really not that great. I use JJ ECC83S and ECC803S for the gain tubes and either a JJ ECC802S or EH 12AU7 for the cathode follower. The gold pin JJs did not seem to be any quieter than the standard ones. Get matched pairs though as the tubes run without negative feed back and if they are mismatched it will alter the gain between the two channels.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 08:01 

Hello ....
I'm a new member from italy, Rome. :D
I hope to do a good stay here.
Sorry for my English, I use google a lot. :D

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 08:45 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forums. Your English is a lot better than my Italian. :) Are there any sort of projects you are thinking about?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 12:11 

Hello Gofar99 ...
i'm thinking about an phono preamp, so i seen the Grovewatt phono srpp configuration very interessing for me
I'm not a great Diy, I built a few amp and preamp, but just kit assembly with very small mod for enhance performance.
So i've a few questions about the Groovewatt; think that I will post my questions into groovewatt thread.

now my setup is:
K4040 poweramp
K8020 preamp welleman's kit
Single Ended With El34 hand air wired
A pair of italians Loudspeaker "Opera GranMezza" Floorstanding.

I hope that my English is understandable.
Regards

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 17:10 
Project Author

Hi, A good but slightly challenging project. Look at today's post under tubes... Groovewatt. It shows what can be done. For a simpler project the IC based phono preamp I cooked up (in the Solid State section of the forum) about 9 months ago or so is an easy one and sounds far better than it ought to. A good starter diy phono preamp.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 20:48 
Project Author

Your speakers should be good. Operas!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 03:09 

mwhouston wrote:
Your speakers should be good. Operas!

Hello ... Do you know Opera?
They are good speakers, are not miraculous but do nothing wrong.

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, A good but slightly challenging project. Look at today's post under tubes... Groovewatt. It shows what can be done. For a simpler project the IC based phono preamp I cooked up (in the Solid State section of the forum) about 9 months ago or so is an easy one and sounds far better than it ought to. A good starter diy phono preamp.

Good listening
Bruce

So, i will look to some project.
I listened to my Rega Rp3 with a TC-tcc750 but not very good so I built: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Schematics/7025-12AX7A-Tube-Phono-Preamplifier-Schematic.htm taking care to power section but the performances are not the best.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 16:57 

same here, i'm planning my first build project, it's a TPA3116d2 amp with a TA7318p analogue VU meters & a Magic Eye Indicator Tube in a custom laser-cut acrylic enclosure. i have the separate units ready for mounting, but my question is: what's the best way to power all these units together?
have already asked around & a 24V / 3A switching power supply has been suggested, but i'm informed these can be quite noisy.. also a Toroidal Transformer was suggesed, but which one is right for this particular box of tricks?.. i dunno..
any suggestions / recommendations / pointers would be v.greatly appreciated, if i can pull off this build & the finished article functions & sounds / looks good, i will post the results here first..
many thanks in advance..

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 12:34 

Hi all, I'm Gordon from Stirling, Central Scotland. I have been tinkering with electronics since I was a kid.

I had to retire prematurely due to I'll health and now I have a lot of time on my hands!

I am ultimately looking to design and build a HiFi amplifier, probably class a with semiconductors, valve (tube) voltages intimidate me!

I'm particularly intrigued by the sheer simplicity of the ZCA and will be trying it out to get a feel for the direction to go in. I will be hoping to draw on the superb knowledge base of this community and will happily report on my own misadventures in case they are useful to others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 63  Next