DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 10:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 13:54 

jccarter wrote:
I am currently assembling the parts to this, and I can't find the internal shield/card, or I don't know what to call it when I search for it. Any suggestions?

It's a piece of metal (aluminum), nothing more. You can probably find some in your local hardware store. :up:

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 16:47 
Project Author

Well, I have another update to the tube list for the 4S Universal. This is a special case because you can only use this tube if your heater supply is capable of putting out a full 600mA into the filament. If so, the 12BH7 tube will expand your tube rolling capabilities. This tube is halfway between the 12AU7 and the 12AV7 from a gain perspective and is very low distortion. I don't have any on hand but if someone tries it, be sure to let us know how it sounds.

Here is the new tube performance list just for reference.
Attachment:
20141019 4S Tube List.png

Gio, Could we get this new table added to the project page?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 23:36 

If I want to use 12AT7, How should I change anything in this circuit?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 00:41 
Project Author

The reason that it is "Universal" is because you don't need to change ANYTHING! Just build the circuit and roll different tubes to your heart's content.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 10:02 

Matt,

I built a Bottlehead Quickie where it was suggested that I replace the plate load resistors with a choke. I was wondering if that could be done with the S4? What would you expect he outcome to be?

Best,

Alan

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 11:06 
Project Author

The primary reasons for choke loading are to lower the load loss (thus making the power supply much less expensive) and to significantly lower the output impedance of the stage. Choke loading was commonly used, in the 1910s and into the early 1920s when the science of transformer manufacture was in it's infancy, to drive loud speakers. The fact that it immediately fell out of favor when reliable transformer manufacture was perfected should teach an important lesson.

There are a few things to consider when doing this. First, the DCR of the choke is small and therefore so is the load loss. As such, the bias point will be shifted up to very close to the B+ voltage. The 1.2kΩ biasing resistor will force very high bias voltages and currents. Either the B+ will need to be lowered significantly, or the biasing resistor will need to be increased significantly. In either case, you'll need to pick a target tube to use and stick with it. The "universality" of the design will be gone.

Also, all the strictures of transformer coupled design still hold. The greatest of these is that when the load of a stage is purely reactive, and the load reactance is small as compared to the reactance of Cpk and Cgp in parallel (as is virtually always the case with small triodes at audio frequencies), the input impedance of the stage has a negative conductive component which, if proper phase margin is not maintained, will lead to oscillation. Because it is not possible to guarantee phase margin if one or both ends of the stage are externally connected (i.e. we don't necessarily know to what they will be connected) it is not particularly advisable to use the choke-capacitance coupling method in standalone stages.

There has been much talk of choke loading from some of the high end manufacturers trying to sell it as something new. However, in comparison to both transformer and RC coupling, it is inferior in performance. Circuits have to be carefully designed to make it work and due to PS coupling, the risk of "motor boating" and oscillation are both high.

In general, I'm not much of a fan of choke loading. Most designers threw it away 100 years ago and I am reluctant to revive it in my designs.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 09:18 

I like the 4S concept. Is it possible to add a treble and bass control and what might be a schematic for that addition.
Thank you

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 18:27 
Project Author

Sometimes a simple tone control is better. Or a tilt control.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 13:42 
Project Author

UJF wrote:
Is it possible to add a treble and bass control and what might be a schematic for that addition.
There are some complications for this approach. The issue is that the tone stack really needs to be buffered from the outside connections to ensure proper operation. That's doable but you end up with a buffer, followed by a tone stack, followed by the amplifier stage.

I have a design upon which I'm working to do just this, but it's not yet quite ready for publication. Check back in February of so.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 17:36 

Hello All;
Great project and I am looking forward to building this soon...... What would be the best (cleanest sounding) way to change the RCA OUTPUTS to balanced signal for XLR inputs on my amp?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next