DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Feb 2021, 03:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 01:32 

This is just an FYI:

Back in May 2014 I ordered 100 UA741CN general purpose Op-Amps from eBay and ended up having to re-order using a different general purpose Op-Amp number from Digikey because the original eBay order Op-Amps did not work.

At first I thought it was the particular flavor of Op-Amp that my design was sensitive to. Just a few weeks ago I tried to re-incorporate the eBay Op-Amps into another project to see if I could salvage the order from May.

I was still scratching my head, even with a simple comparator circuit I bread boarded just to test. I was not even getting basic functionality. I noticed when I touched the scope probe which was supposed to be a driven output from the Op-Amp that it appeared to act like a floating input. This led me to test the other pins of the Op-Amp ... pin 8 showed a logic HIGH when it was supposed to be a NC, pin 1 however showed the "correct" or expected Op-Amp output. After further R&D the supposedly single Op-Amp was indeed a mispackaged (<- laser markings) DUAL Op-Amp.

So the pinout is:

1 - Output_A
2 - INVInput_A
3 - NonINVInput_A
4 - Supply -
5 - NonINVInput_B
6 - INVInput_B
7 - Output_B
8 - Supply +

ALL One hundred of the UA741CN's were like this. I contacted the eBay seller urging him to take a random sample from his stock, but have not heard anything from him.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 19:35 
Project Author

Congratulations, you have had your first experience with counterfeit parts. :bawling:

The probability of getting a counterfeit part greatly increases based on the design age of the part. The design age is the elapsed time from the first availability of the part to the present. The design of the 741 op amp is ancient in technological terms. In fact, I know of no current producers for a 741 op amp. The nature of op amps is that there are MANY current production parts which will function just as well, if not much better, in any design you can conceive.

My very strong recommendation is to never buy ANY integrated circuit from someplace like eBay. With so many good reliable suppliers of production parts (DigiKey, Allied Electronics, Arrow, Newark, Mouser, etc.) there is really no reason to go elsewhere. What you save will likely be a false economy at best; as you have learned.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 00:32 

Thanks Suncalc ... I don't think these are counterfeit, as they would probably have worked even if they were counterfeits. I think these were just marked incorrectly as a result of human error at the foundry. They are definitely a DUAL Op-Amp in a single Op-Amp package label.

"With so many good reliable suppliers of production parts (DigiKey, Allied Electronics, Arrow, Newark, Mouser, etc.) there is really no reason to go elsewhere." - Agreed, however there are some exceptions and I wouldn't make a blanket statement to rule out ALL eBay sales for IC's.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 01:00 

They may not be "fakes" per-se, but factory rejects. A lot of chips, LED's, etc. destined for the rubbish end up out the back door and even reputable Ebay sellers get had the odd time on their re-supply.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 20:28 
Project Author

I suspect that they were a different type that was electrically similar, but repackaged in a different configuration for a special application. A sort of house special application. Regardless I get my OPs from normal parts source companies.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 11:26 

I ordered two OPA627 ICs from Mouser at $24 each, saw some on ebay for $8 each...yeah right.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 18:39 

Lately i've got some 2SK1058 with wrong pinout ...and they are not sensitive at all ( i wonder what kind of transistor hiding behind the shield ...it's not a 2SK1058 ). The most surprising about it all, when i was complaining to the seller "hkutsource", they wanted me to change the written negative feedback, i had given the product on Ebay. Offcourse i refused to do that !