DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 03:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 01:45 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Hi Mark, I had a TV stand just like the one in the photo. Now there is no TV in the listening room. Partly because I almost never used it (I have one in my shop next to the PC) and also so no one else would want to take over my room. I already lost one that way and we don't have any spares to go around if it would happen again. ;) The speakers are rather nice looking and no doubt perform as well. They look like Fostex 206s. Do you use subs with them?

No subby but funny you mention it. As you know I have the stereo subbies built a short time back currently under-pinning my latest 2-ways. I was thinking I may run the FE206s up to the main listening room and try them with the subbies and the Silver Dragon (300B). The subbies are powered by the Tripath 50W amp. If I get off my ass and try it I'll report back.

This area is the family room so therefore TV and all the gear to listen to Blue Rays and films on TV to support it. What I call "loudarama". Behind the TV is 12" woofer and 175W SS amp driven from the Oppo LFE.

By the way, Bruce, what's on the drawing brd?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 09:00 
Project Author

Hi Mark. For a long time I was opposed to subs. But I really like how they fill in the lowest octave with my ESLs. I have a pair of Martin Logan Powered subs on the system now. Set for 40 HZ.

On the drawing board...after the Lone Star Audio Fest and vacation, so a month out from now. I'm working on two things. One is exploring the possibilities of a Mu follower pentode/triode gain stage. No particular use in mind yet but it could be a natural for the input to a phono preamp. It seems I can have a gain of around 200 V/V and still maintain the nice characteristics of the SRPP stages at low signal levels (up to about 3-5 volts output on the stage). It would allow for a variation of the Groove for LOMC. I'm also getting set to build a new plinth for the Dual 701 with a Jelco 750 10 inch arm. I considered the 12 inch one and actually drew up plans for it but decided that the improvement would not be that great and the plinth would be huge - nearly 52 cm by 48 cm. As is the new one will be about 38 by 40 cm. It will weigh about 16-18 kg. I don't want to have to put wheels on it as things are always getting moved around here. It brings up a thought....anyone who wants to build a turntable should consider using a Dual 701 motor assembly. I don't suggest tearing apart a good working Dual, but if you can find one with a good motor but otherwise not so great arm and plinth etc it makes a really great way to spin the vinyl. The motor is a direct drive with full set of controls. Easy to migrate to a new home. My experience is that it is really quiet and very stable. The assembly would probably cost in the $1000s to get new. The platter and motor together weigh around 4 kg and are made to last forever. Trouble free.

BTW for all folks that want a really decent LOMC and not break the bank you might consider the AT-F7. They are around $250 direct from Japan and in my opinion out perform many that cost a bunch more. It sort of reminds me of the Dynavector 10X5 but at half the price. Excellent tracking....it went through all the bands on the test record without any issues (I view the results on the DSO attached to my system). Separation was measured at 27db as indicated in the literature as well. Nice clean sound. Not too warm, not to emphasized in any area. Clean bottom end. I use a 200 ohm load on it. Rather quiet in the grooves as well.

Those projects should keep me out of trouble for a while. I still need to write up the "Beta" stereo amp. That's the one that I designed and built to replace the K-12. Another over achiever. Very likely to turn into a kit. Most likely about 1.5 times as costly as the thing it replaces....but then there are no mods needed to make it perform well and it has a metal chassis. For those who know me, "well" means exceptionally good. I also should write up the X10 buffer/gain stage I cooked up for low signal levels. You would like that as it uses a pair of 9 volt batteries for power and they should last at least 100 hours.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 19:37 
Project Author

I have really, really been enjoying Intermezzo lately and sat and listened to it for about 5 hours yesterday without a break. I played a mix of solo instruments or just two or three instruments together and whole orchestras. I didn't seem to matter what I payed the system, with the Fostex FE206s, handled it with ease.The new preamp is driving it so well. I'm in love with Intermezzo a fresh. I know I have said it before but I just can't believe how good two transformers and one tube can sound. Last images weren't so good. Here are some slightly better ones.
Attachment:
P5092767.JPG
Attachment:
P5092769.JPG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 20:25 

I to looked at your passed posts and agree with your wife! Check and re-solder all connections. This amp has been playing tricks for some time since conception. I would think (knowing the cabinet you used for trans on top of case), (thin metal), that they should be removed from such close proximity to the outs and placed further away from active parts of cir. Defiantly put power and output trans in way different locations with separate shielding for each.
Frankly though, if a unit operates properly and then starts being weird off and on, usually soldering is the cause. Luck and keep us in the loop Mark.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 02:51 
Project Author

In the end it was a screw connection. I did re-tighten it a number of times but until I pulled the connection apart and re-connected it again it kept failing.

All good now and with the new preamp sounding glorious.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 09:26 

mwhouston wrote:
I have really, really been enjoying Intermezzo lately and sat and listened to it for about 5 hours yesterday without a break. I played a mix of solo instruments or just two or three instruments together and whole orchestras. I didn't seem to matter what I payed the system, with the Fostex FE206s, handled it with ease.The new preamp is driving it so well. I'm in love with Intermezzo a fresh. I know I have said it before but I just can't believe how good two transformers and one tube can sound. Last images weren't so good. Here are some slightly better ones.

Mark,

Do you have schematics for this Imtermezzo amp? I have a few Telefunken RS241 tubes which I still dont know what to do with them.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 19:01 
Project Author

Just follow this thread: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4562

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 06:42 

mwhouston wrote:

Thanks! I checked that thread but there are no schematics and also you were using it as a headphone amp at the time. Did you mod it to use with speakers or kept the same OPT?

Btw, which transformers did you use?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 18:35 
Project Author

bsgd wrote:
Thanks! I checked that thread but there are no schematics and also you were using it as a headphone amp at the time. Did you mod it to use with speakers or kept the same OPT?

Btw, which transformers did you use?

Sorry try this http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4289

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 19:55 
Project Author

Just purchased a new flash for my Olympus E520. My son wants me to take photos at his upcoming wedding and the flash on the camera is not up to it. So I got the best flash I could for the job. To practice with the flash I thought I would take photos of my systems. All have had changes and upgrades in the last few days.

My main system, with the 300B (The Silver Dragon), now has the coaxial Beyma drives (VoXConcentriC) sitting atop the stereo sub-woofers. System #2 has the 807 amp (Luciano) with the first of my 2-ways DIY speakers (VoXDeuX) up on stands. The stands cost more than the speakers. System #3, the TV end of town, has my tube and chip 80W amp (Number 9) with the second pair of 2-ways I made using the bigger 6.5" woofer\mids and isodynamic ribbon tweeters (VoXDeux65).

I have no stands for the speakers around the TV but put some large (and very sharp) cones at the front of the boxes to point the ribbons at my ears. It works OK but stands would be better. So there is my system upgrades. In all shots the flash was bounced off our light ceiling.
Attachment:
P8242851.JPG
Attachment:
P8242849.JPG
Attachment:
P8242848.JPG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next