DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 12:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Working in glass
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 12:15 

I guess most people in here agree when I say that a chassis of glass is a bad idea. Still glass intrigues me a lot and I am tempted to give the silicon material a try, but not as a part of the chassi but as a decoration.
There are amps to be found that has a sort of decorative cover with the tubes sticking up through holes in the glass. But how were those holes made? Guess the Japanese still haven't invented an electronic hole that can be placed where ever a hole is needed. Missing the spot, you simply move the hole a bit... :thumbsup:

I guess that the most contemporary way of making holes in a piece of glass is to use THIS KIND OF TOOL. Using light pressure an stable drill stand an infinite amounts of cooling will do the trick. If possible the glass may lie in a container drowning in water. That way the nasty glasspowder is trapped in the water and not in the lungs.

I read about two other tricks. One was to use acork in the drill with a layer of fine sand underneath and let the sand do the work. Another, picked up in Russia used sand as well, but the sand had to be layed out in a ring, the size of the desired hole, doused in petrol or alcohol and the liquid set on fire.

However the special drill above is, I understand, the best option.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

Post subject: Re: Working in glass
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 07:51 
Project Author

Magnus, you can have that one on your own. I'm having enough trouble drilling 2mm Al and timber and lately ABS plastic.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 08:13 

*imagines all kinds of LED colours lighting up the glass* :D

Unless the glass is tempered, I'd be worried about nice hot glass + someone slops their frosted margarita *crack* :hot:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 05:45 

mwhouston wrote:
Magnus, you can have that one on your own. I'm having enough trouble drilling 2mm Al and timber and lately ABS plastic.

I recognize that problem. You have a drop-through transformer med holes for 5 mm screws (M5). When the big square ( :confused: ) hole in the top plate is finished the four monthing holes are never ever ever aligned, so I drill them 6 mm .... and use small file for tghe last few half millimeters .

I simply have to get me a piece of scrap glass and do some trials. Then I can try to fins some tubes that don't get too hot.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 15:24 

For making extremely accurate, fine finish holes in glass and all sorts of hard materials, for a mere $650K you could just get one of these: :)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Jameson's PopPop

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 16:35 
Project Author

Hi, I'm with Mark on this one....I have plenty of problems drilling in metal, wood and especially plastics. I figure glass is made for wine and beer glasses and not much else except tube bottles in audio.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 22:20 

grymster wrote:
For making extremely accurate, fine finish holes in glass and all sorts of hard materials, for a mere $650K you could just get one of these: :)

<Bill Cosby>

*asks grandma*

Well let me just go over to my purse...

Well lookie here, $650,000!

</Bill Cosby>

:D

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 01:54 
Project Author

Mr Cosby can afford a glass cutter, not that he really wants one mind.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 07:30 

We usually use glass cutting holesaws (as in Soundbrigade's link) or diamond endmills. Sometimes we'll use waterjet.

Jameson's PopPop

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 09:52 

Had an aunt and her niece on visit a week ago - helped them with their corset projects (I have many strings on my lyre (Swedish expression). Auntie runs a glass business and she said that they used my kind of drill, working very slowly and every now and then lifting the drill a little to let water penetrate and cool things off.
If used as a cover for tube amps, she recommended me to harden the glass before using it in the amp, thus making it withsatnd the high temperatures.

―Lewis Carroll