DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Mar 2019, 09:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 05:10 
Project Author

dtsup1 wrote:
You surely mean AU 26K ! :D

Was the best combo = Hiraga amp + Boz SE preamp ?

Yes $26K.

The BoZ combo with Hiraga never happened. It should of. I would love to purchase Dan's Hiraga but he wants a grand for it, It is worth every penny.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 06:03 
Project Author

OK AmpFestDownUnder 2011 is fast approaching. It apears Dan may have let his wedding get in the way.

Dave has his new Super Duper Serial F5 (SDSF5) ready to go, Paul has something but I can't remember what it is or was and I have my "Paris" - 6EM7 Integrated Tube amp ready for audition. We may just wait for Dan and the wedding "sparkle and fizz" to dissapate (about a month or so) to book a time and get the show on the road.

If you think this sounds exciting, your medications not strong enough.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:18 
Editor

Sounds like fun. Be sure to take some notes and photos for us far away folks.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 21:36 
Project Author

AmpFestDownUnder nearly didn't happen. It turned out to be more DemoFest with only one submission. Dan from Adelaide was in Victoria visiting the in-laws when I contacted him. Dave was away which was sad because Dave has built a number of Pass F5s and may have had one finished to bring over.

Dan and I listened to the Silver Dragon - 300BSE. We played loud heavy rock from CDs, old rock/pop from LPs and a number of high rez FLAC files direct from the laptop using an external DAC. The DAC was the Jaycar $149 DSP unit. It runs in async mode and does all the D-2-A converting in software and not hardware. Dan was impressed how loud the Dragon would go and still sound clean particularly in the treble region. He was also impressed with how good the FLAC files sounded especially with the clarity and detail of the music.

The night went to 3am with us watching Transformers on the big screen in 5.1 sound and 125W 12" subby in a big ported box. LOUD!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 13:13 
Editor

Hey Mark,
Glad to hear you guys made some good of the time.

What I like about the new highres lossless music is that one can use a inexpensive DAC and effectively replace expensive CD players and expensive turntables while still producing excellent sonic results.

Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 15:31 
Project Author

Gio: I'm trying to get the point where I do not make DVD-As from Lin high rez downloads. I play them straight out of the laptop.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 19:55 

Since the Ampfest 2010-2011 at my home I have completed a couple more F5 monoblocks. I put a few power supply tweeks in and imagined they sounded even better than the first dual mono unit we originally heard. All have found new homes with audiophile mates and for the forseeable future I will be enjoying my Opera 845S SET monoblocks. The Rega Saturn is sulking in the corner of the study looking for a new owner since I spent my remaining life savings on an Audio Aero La Fontaine SA/CD player/DAC/pre-amp. I am experimenting with my laptop as a music server and have downloaded a nice studio master tape FLAC file of Barb Jungr from Linn. The laptop is connected to the AA DAC via a homemade 0.4mtr USB cable utilising twisted pair silver plated copper conductors. The results are outstanding. My 'finest OCCC silver plated' speaker leads have been given the heave ho to be replaced by 1.0mtr Cat6 cable which sounds better (clearer hi end detail). Im looking forward to any future 'Ampfest Downunder' (get your skates on Mark!). Finally, I'm trying to get a pair of L20 V9 amp boards to work. Reputedly good for 345W per channel but so far they keep blowing up during testing.

Regards David (Duffin).

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 19:39 
Project Author

Dave: Challenge accepted. I have a start on an 807 amp which has been on the back burn for years now. The amp should be finished in the next weeks. I think there will be more from Houston Labs before end of year. Some how we have to Dan inspired to knock-up something.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 21:24 

I have now taken the heavy jarrah cabinet out of the room and the soundstage has improved out of sight. They say that the room is a large part of the problem in many cases and I have certainly proved that once and for all.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 00:06 
Project Author

Melbourne (Australia) Audio Club (MAC - 36 years old) has an annual DIY night. The last two years I have not given a demo of my gear due to some admin stuff-ups. This year there was some good entries.
Attachment:
IMG331.jpg

This is the amp section of a 10Y preamp (bread boarded). The trannies are massive double "C" OPTs.
Attachment:
IMG333.jpg
This is the PS section of the 10Y preamp. A tone of filtering and chokes.
Attachment:
IMG334.jpg
This is a ball speaker with a metal cone drive and tweeter.
Attachment:
IMG336.jpg
This is a Gale knock-off with some vintage Phillips mids and tweeters. Sounded good. Stunning finish - deep lacquer.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.