DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 03:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 10:26 
Editor

booangler wrote:
Tight fit is an understatement. I thought the board looked messy now. It will look like the bride of freakin' Frankenstein after I add those to it. I'll give it a go and report back with pics. Thanks for the help.

If you stand them up it should not be so bad. You will have to extend the lead on one side.

Ri, I tried them as output caps on a phono pre I was trying on a breadboard. Worked very well. Better than generic polypropylene, but not as good as high quality film and foil caps that were about triple the size. What did they cost?
Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 10:55 

booangler wrote:
If you stand them up it should not be so bad. You will have to extend the lead on one side.

Gio,

That is one of the many things I love about this site. Since this is my first real build I tend to think very literally still. Standing the caps up is a fantastic idea. Thank you.

Alan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 11:00 
Editor

You won't be so happy when my invoice shows up! ;)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 11:06 

gmilitano wrote:
You won't be so happy when my invoice shows up! ;)

LOL

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 12:22 
Project Author

Gio,
I think they were about a dollar each after shipping from some former part of the USSR.
Not to bad.
Cant wait to get my B1 board and try out a few different caps in it. I have some Evox/Axon/Clarity/Generic caps to try.
Ri

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 13:35 

I have been giving serious thought to an Aikido Custom Aikido Amplifier 9-Pin Stereo Kit for the simple fact that you can experiment with the Coupling and Output Capacitors. Oh, and it all comes in a kit. Which saves me time as I don't have that much extra time. This would probably be my workshop amplifier.

Alan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 20:46 
Editor

Hi Alan,
Look at the positive comments that they have on that page about the very familiar green Russian PIO caps. Also, the Aikido is a line amp (preamp).

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 21:19 

gmilitano wrote:
Hi Alan,
Look at the positive comments that they have on that page about the very familiar green Russian PIO caps. Also, the Aikido is a line amp (preamp).

Gio,
That's what I get for skimming and not reading. Maybe I have to build a gainclone for my shop and the Aikido Pre to play on. This is becoming as bad as my obsession for Fly Rods!!!

Alan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 22:11 
Project Author

Mind if I throw a monkey wrench into the works?
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php? ... or+PCB+GB+
Buy the NS10 and the regulator. Cant really go wrong. Plus prices are in Canadian ! :) Its a good thing for now but get em while it lasts!
Ri

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 17:44 
Project Author

booangler wrote:
Need some help identifying these green caps. The top one is labeled .22J 100HT. Bottom one is .082J 100HT. I am hopping that the 100 is the volts indicator no clue what the HT is. .22 are the sugnifficant figures, J should be 3 zeros. Not sure what the starting capacitance point is; pico, micro or what.

If you really are still puzzled as to how to read the non standard values on capacitors that I see as being 'cheap' but use able, the 100HT really does stand for 100V, and on other similar caps the 0.22uF may show up as 224. Other examples from my collection, darn!, if only I could find my camera usb cord.

Ok other caps may say 224 2A this means 0.22uF 200V sounds some what rediculous for the size of the ones I have but it's the only sense that can be made from it, and if you look at others they will all relate in size depending on their value.

Other examples: 2B 104M = 0.1uF 200V, 1H 224J = 0.22uF 100V, 103K 50S = 0.01uF 50V, 682K 100N = 0.0068uF 100V

Now hopefully you will also see the relation ship between each value, if not.... 105 = 1uF, 104 = 0.1uF, 103 = 0.01uF,
102 = 0.001uF, 101 = 100pF This can all be summed up into a chart, and as for the voltage, that should be stated obvious enough.

I know how to read these caps because of the many salvages I have made and after measuring different values have come to a related conclusion.

Hope this was help full.