DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 14:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 16:46 

Hi everyone.

This is my first post and I am new to the DIY forum and projects in general. I have read a bit and looked at various projects and wanted to give one a shot. I was thinking about doing the Low-Inductance DIY Hi-Fi Speaker Cables project. i have a question though. I already have Ultralink Audiophile Reference 18 gauge speaker wire on my main speakers. Would this project and the cable outcome be better then what I currently have? (I will say on my centre I have monster cable so it doesn't match) . If not is there another speaker cable DIY that might do it?

If not and my speaker wire is okay would I be better of with another DIY and replacing my other interconnect cables (some are monster) and which one would you recommend?

I currently have an Onkyo tx-sr605 connected to a set of Definitive BP-7004's bipolar speakers.

thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post and for replying if you have any helpful advice.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 12:09 
Editor

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. DIY cables makes a great first audio project.

How long is your speaker cable run?

The project you noted should be an improvement. The equivalent gauge of the DIY cable is about 10AWG while your cable is 18AWG. (Info: American Wire Gauge (AWG) Cable Conductor Size Chart / Table). Resistance can be an issue on a long cable run or where you are pushing a lot of power.

As for sonic improvement, IMO cables only make a small difference to the overall sound. But they definitely can improve the sound.

Cheers

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 17:40 

Hi all

I was looking at doing the above project that would be my first dyi project that's on the front page but had a couple of questions. 1: can some one tell me how much wire I need per foot? 2) . In the instructions it shows that a grey and a black gets twisted together and you make 4 pairs of that, you then twist 2 of those pairs together to make one cable. in the next step when the sleeve is on it shows in one speaker cable all the grey cable ends together and all the blacks. Do you separate the two colours at the ends to put the speaker plugs on? If so wouldn't it just be better to twist 2 sets of grey with 2 sets of black? It probably doesnt matter but just wondering? Also does it matter the colour of the wire? When i have looked around it comes in a variety of colours.

Thanks

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 21:25 
Editor

You need about 10% more cable to overcome the length lost with twisting and braiding. Per foot, you need about 4.5 feet of each black and grey. You need to twist the wires as pairs just as is shown in the instructions. It is this wire geometry that makes the cables low inductance. The colors are arbitrary.

Cheers

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 23:56 

Thank You for the response.

Just to be clear I need about 13 - 14 inches each strand of cable per foot?

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 17:51 
Editor

Yes, 14" should do.

If you are looking for a premium wire, try choosing one that uses PTFE (Teflon brand) insulator.
Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 19:35 

I just finished my first cable and there is a big difference in sound between the monster wire I had hooked up and these cables. Far more clarity and resolution than the monster. Did an A B comparison (left speaker with braided cable versus right speaker with monster) and my non-audiophile wife picked up on the difference. Far more detail.

Thanks Adam for the design. Easy project with better than expected outcome.

Scott

P.S. this is all part of my latest low budget system. I'm in SoCal most of the week for the next year or two and I'm trying to assemble an audiophile system for less than $1,000. Nice challenge. Also going the V-DAC II source route. Learning lots.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2012, 12:10 
Editor

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that the Low-Inductance DIY Hi-Fi Speaker Cables worked out well for your needs. I have a V-DAC II and it you have any questions or experience to share, please feel free to do so in the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II thread.

Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 15:31 

can I build these same type of cables using a lower gauge wire? with similar results? I don't need to run a very long distance to my speakers, 10 ft max, normally they sit about 5 ft away from my equipment.
Please let me know
Thanks
Frank

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 20:33 
Editor

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum.

Yes. Just follow the same reverse braiding pattern. The reverse braiding pattern is what lowers the net inductance of the cable. Changing the wire gauge will primarily change the net resistance of the cable.

What size wire will you be using? I've been toying with the idea using wire wrap wire (~28AWG) for use with highish sensitivity rear loaded horns. :smoking:

Cheers