DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Feb 2017, 13:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Captain
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 15:21 

Hi no the mill does not have a wheel.

The small mill was used to mill corn and wheat for the village, it seems to date back to Roman times and is adjacent to a Roman road, the mill workings work on a turbine design where the oak bladed turbines fit into circular holes cut in to rock bed then water from dammed river is forced into the holes from below, we have two still intact the stones are almost 6 foot in diameter and weigh about 1 ton each.

We will be using small pelton wheel turbines, backed up by wind and solar, all generators will feed a large deep cycle battery bank then inverted to 220/240 AC the domestic house wiring will be split in to zones and will call in power when needed.

All the best
Captain

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 04:50 

Hello everyone!

My name is Alexander and i am from Lithuania :)
I started DIY when I was around 11 years old and since then I always want to build something new. Your page projects encouraged me to go further and start making tube amps. I hope to have a great time here with all you audio enthusiasts!

Cheers,
Alexander

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 11:00 
Project Author

Hi, An update to my earlier post. Something I overlooked. With all the KT88 amps sold on the commercial side (many) of my projects, we now recommend the JJ KT88s over the Gold Lions. We discontinued supplying GLs as standard. Not because of cost as they are fairly close in that area, but because we have had two of the GLs go soft and refuse to balance after about 2 years of service. None of the JJ tubes to my knowledge have had this happen. My original set of JJs is still going strong after nearly 4 years and many thousands of hours. In the design of the amps one thing I consider is long tube life. I expect a typical user should get at least 5000 hours and more likely 8-10000 hours of life before replacement is needed.

For anyone who didn't pick up on it before, we also had problems with EH KT88s. Matched pairs would not balance well and stay balanced. I don't believe that they are defective, just some small aspect of their design or construction causes the problem. As for the GL KT88s, perhaps they are not designed to last as long as the JJs. I don't know. I just wanted to report this issue so that the diyer doesn't get a big surprise after a few 1000 hours of use. BTW, while I will not publicly say who, but we have found two main tube supplier companies that do not either carefully screen or properly test tubes in matched pairs. So buyer beware if you get some that don't behave well, holler and get replacements. Well matched output tubes will balance easily and stay that way in the amps. Buy from reputable sources.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Hi everyone,
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 18:01 

New to the forum. I live in Maine and work lobstering most of the year but have a lot of down time in the winter months, perfect for playing a few gigs with the guitar and heating up the solder iron for some mods on an old tube amp. I hope to learn from some of the great minds on here. It seemed like every time I googled a question for a project it sent me here, so I figured I'd join in the fun!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 13:12 
Editor

Welcome Alis and Tube Tinkerer. Good to have you aboard.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 14:19 

Hey all,
I have been tooling around for the past trying to learn the most I can from these forums. I figured I write an introduction. I have always been into Audiophile since I was a kid growing up listening to my Dad play in his band. He converted the garage to a nice sound room and would record occasionally. I got into DIY realm when I realized how much the components cost. What really set me off the past few months is listening to my friends tube mono blocks push these 30 year old Klipsch tower speakers with about 1 watt each. It blew me away how much clarity there was. Not to mention when he turned it up it just got clearer. The tone was amazing.

I just ordered my first kit today from ODDWATT. Looking forward to listening to my LPs with the PODDWATT. I built the Boozhound Labs JFET Phono Preamp last night and will be putting it into a Hammond enclosure tonight. I will post up some pics of the build when I get a chance. :thumbsup:

Lastly thank all of you Audiophilers out there for this amazing forum; look forward to sharing ideas and learning more from the wisdom of the pros.

Bierburner

MMC(SS) USN Active

Post subject: Hello from Omaha NE
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 10:45 

Hello,

I am new to these forums. I've been building guitar amplifiers for a while now and have a few projects under my belt. My first build was the AX84 HO. It has been built and rebuilt and now sounds pretty awesome. I've built a complete Pignose G40V (new transformers, caps, everything). I recently came into a box of various tubes (6V6's, 6SN7's, 12AX7's, rectifier tubes, etc.) and I'm in the early stages of a Deluxe 5E3.

With the tubes, I've started looking into building an integrated audio amplifier to play my LP's through. Which brings me here. I'm not sure how far down the hi-fi rabbit hole I'm going to go, but so far it has been a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to the community and getting started with some sweet builds!

Thanks!

Foster Weyand

Post subject: Re: Hello from Omaha NE
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 12:07 
Editor

Hi Foster, welcome to the forum.

So do you already have a RIAA phono preamp that you will use or are you looking for a tube phono stage as well as a tube amp.

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012, 17:57 

Got my Poddwatt kit today. The packaging was impeccable. Props to ODDWATT Audio. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012, 21:24 

Welcome and SALUTE BierBurner! You have my deepest respect, sir, as do all who are and have served this fine country.

If you don't mind.... what is MMC(SS)?

My father served in the USAF. Retired MSGT after putting in his 25. His area was avionics - RADAR and compass - B52. My brother also served USAF, then switched over to Air National Guard in Alaska. He retired AANG after putting in his 25. I don't know his last rank, but I'm pretty sure he was navigation. I now have 1 nephew who just made Major in the USAF - his specialty is remote pilot (Predator). I had another nephew who was in the Army. He flew the OH58 - Kiowa. He was a trainer and was due for an upgrade to CWO4. Unfortunately, he was killed in a night-training flight back in December. He was stationed at Lewis/McChord.

I stupidly chose the civilian career path. I salute you, sir!

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 62  Next