DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 19:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello out there
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 22:15 
Project Author

Hi Welcome to diy audio. There are several forums and I am sure at least one will be right for you. :) As for old equipment....much is still around and some quite coveted. Early Marantz and Macintosh gear is rather valuable now. Mostly for good reasons.... they sound good. I personally use a turntable (Dual 701) that is from 1976. While I use only stuff of my own design and construction in my present system, I have two vintage Marantz receivers and one of their vintage amps. The amp is from 1969 and still going strong (I use it in my shop). Pandora isn't all that bad now, but not anywhere close to some of the high definition digital on line music providers. I strongly suspect that the future of audio is going in two directions, the main stream to on line high def audio and the minor one to analog audio. CDs and low res digital will IMHO be history in under 10 years.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 13:43 

Hello everyone.

I found this forum seafching for info about electron tubes. I'm trying to build my first tubed-amplifier and I have just a basic knowledge on how tubes work. I've have always been "transistorized" and I have built several transistor amplifier. Vacuum tubes is a pending subject for me.

Greeting from Havana and I'll see you in the forum.

Cordially

Miguel

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 23:07 

Hello DIYaudio,

I have just recently become interested in the DIY audio world. I love music and spend the majority of my summers going to music festivals. Most of the hi-fi music I have listened to have been from my friends that were into home stereos in high school (99-03) and amazing sound systems that my friends own and put on music festivals (Funktion One and PK). I love a very wide range of music from Electronic Bass music to Folk and Gypsy Funk stuff.... so I am having a very difficult time deciding on what type of equipment to build for my first project..... when I first started looking into DIY, I thought I might build my own speakers... from the ground up, since I have access to magnetizing equipment and I work designing magnetic fields.... but now as I look into it more, Tube amps seems like they look like a ton of fun. SO! my questions is this.... could I build a tube amp that could play all of the variety of music that I want to listen to ? I want it to be very loud, and bass heavy, but a soft feeling. I would be willing to build a tube amp with many tubes if that's what it would take. Really... tube amps just look the coolest to me so far ;)

I read through the whole "DIY Audio Information for Beginners"... and I have read through a lot of the different tube amp projects and am very interested in lots of them... I wish people said what speakers they paired up with their amps more often... and I wish people said what kind of music they listen to....

I really appreciate that this forum exists... and I really and crazy inspired by all of the projects posted on here! Thank you whoever is responsible or making this happen!

Another thing that would be freaking amazing on here... is a glossary.... I often find myself trying to figure out acronyms and components that I am just learning. Anyone know of a good audio glossary that I could reference?

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 23:22 

Welcome Rollo

Just be careful on programming as you might want to proof them as I had some bad recordings/copies that were brought to me by a friend which ruined my Dynaudio D28's. They aren't cheap and wish I could find some diaphragm's for them. I don't play anything straight off of the internet myself. Just use a cheap set of computer speakers but if it sounds good I save the file and play it through a firewire D/A converter.

I am also new as well so don't feel alone.

Cool name as I enjoy Deadliest Catch (I am sure that is not how you got the name)

Take Care
EC

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 23:52 

Hello Bobby

I am also new to the tube stuff. I built a Forewatt a month ago from scratch and if you like the tube sound it will make a MOSFET power amp sound wonderful. Actually I am ordering a Forewatt kit as soon as I get a invoice in as it about cost me the same as scratch building one after ordering parts and shipping from several suppliers the $450 isn't such a bad deal. I don't know how much bass you like but I spent a lot of time in recording studios in the early 80's . I can't stand what some folks call flat sound but the forewatt really sounds good and most likely like it was heard in the studio when recorded. I still have my monitors from back then and I just use the CD player to the preamp then straight to 600 watts of transistor power. No equalizer is need. Yes there are some bad sounding music that I have that need some touching up but most sounds great but it all starts at the recording end. I was playing some Bush last night and it has a really great mix on it.

By the way the imaging and separation is also very good with the Forewatt. Makes an opamp preamp sound like a mono recording. I think for your first project it could be one of them as you are looking for lots of power and I believe that would be a cheap way to start with the tube preamp and MOSFET amp. Also the kit is complete and comes with everything you need except for the solder and iron.

High powered tube amplifiers could get rather expensive even building one yourself.

Speakers are going to be a hard part. Everything is rated at a gazillion watts and sales tactics makes that hard as well. It's like buying a guitar as I would rather pay extra at a local shop for a guitar that suits me rather than buying one mail order. Thats why I frequent pawn shops and music shops when I travel. Speakers are the same way. If you can't listen to or try them most likely you will be disappointed when you get them home or where ever you put them.

Keep us posted ???
EC

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 19:53 

Thanks for the reply EC,

I have decided to give it my best at this project:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT88- ... -Tube-Amp/

I ordered the transformers (edcor), tubes (Gold Lion KT88s and Sovtek 5751s), and tube sockets, and I am working on ordering the rest of the components from Newark.com. The schematic says "Filter capacitors are rated at 500VDC. Bypass capacitors are rated 450v or more." Which are which? And what kind of capacitors should I get, electrolytic? Or should certain ones be one type and others another type?

Once I get my order together, would you, or anyone be willing to take a look at it to see if it looks right?

I am going to make the chasis out of aluminum and copper, I'm excited about that part! Im excited about all of it really.

Thanks again! I appreciate the support, this forum is awesome, I'm addicted. Though I am quite the noob and having to research a bit to totally understand many posts. 8-)

Post subject: New Here
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 12:50 

Howdy, folks

I am just getting sucked into this hobby and am enthusiastic but under-informed. I am happily learning on-the-fly and cannot wait to start assembling my system. I've never owned anything more than a $30 boombox :eek:

Thanks for providing a seat at the table. Positively loving this site over here :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 13:02 

waddup, @bob

look forward to reading how your setup turns out. will be assembling a similar system in the next few weeks/months myself, mostly for audience recordings. obv a lot of these recordings are less than ideal so there are extra considerations here. can't wait to read how yours turns out!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 13:07 

howdy

just gonna second each of the first two posters and say I look forward to reading how your setup progresses

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 16:00 

Hey wilson, thanks for saying hi!

In reading more... I have grown my interest to maybe building this instead: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23 But I can't figure out if the schematic is the same as: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT77- ... -Tube-Amp/ Just with the KT88s replacing the KT77s. Any idea? Id like to start putting a parts list together, but I am so novice at this, that I don't feel comfortable making that assumption without some confirmation.

Thanks again for saying hi... send me a link to a thread if you make one for your project

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next