DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 12:59 

First time I heard about compactron, or to be precise, heard the term compactron was when I found the 6T9 tube kit on SpareTimeGizmos website.
I already had laid my hands on compactron tubes as I had bough a pair of exotic 50CA10, the power triodes found in Luxman amps, but didn't have the "technical title" at that time.
As this forum have full knowledge of the 6T9 and we happened to slip into compactron discussions elsewhere I saw a need for a thread exclusively aimed for discussion the many-pinned tubes. I have checked some tubes (data sheets) and have become slightly interested in some of them.
So here we go here are some links:
http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/CompactronTubesIndex.shtml A list of various tubes and their proposed use :up:
http://www.angelfire.com/vt/audio/compactron.html Cheap TV-bube amp with tube suggestions.
http://www.pmillett.com/midget.htm Millett's 6T10 amp.
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/beansamps/ Bean's hard to find schematics

Of the various tubes I have some 6T9s but I don't think they will go into a project. Then there is the 50CA10. Also I would like to try the 6D10 in Rosenblit's Grounded Grid preamp.

More ideas or good links?! :smoking:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 13:45 
Editor

Thanks for starting this tread Magnus.

Here are links to the various 6T9 tube amp projects on the site:

Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 16:27 

The majority of compactrons I have owned in the past (I have dispensed with them) were sweep tubes. These were power tubes (normally beam tetrodes and sometimes pentodes) that served the dual purpose of linearly controlled the horizontal motion of the TV's beam and dealing with the flyback that generated the EHT for the final anode. I may have my facts a little off but I think that's the way it was.

Some of the tubes such as 6DQ6A were especially sought after as guitar output stages (although the 6DQ6 was an octal with a plate cap). If you can get your hands on a matched pair they may make an interesting output stage. Aside from 6L6, EL34, KT88 and the like, there may be a whole new world of powerful output devices.

I never got into compactrons because I wasn't willing to buy yet another type of socket. Three types are enough (normally I don't use the 7-pins, except when I want to make some radios. As a result I have a veritable surplus of them).

Ed

6L6G / 12AX7 25W Guitar Amplifier
TLC272CP/2N3904/3906 Headphone Amp (Can Man)
MPF102/IRF630 Headphone Amp (FETZilla)
12AU7 / IRFX Headphone Amp (x2)
TIP31C/32C 5W Stereo
More to come...

Bow to Ed!!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 08:32 

This is a popular compactron amp
http://www.pmillett.com/DCPP.htm
Pete sells the circuit boards on ebay.

George from Tubelab.com got 500W out of one with 4 35LR6 compactron output tubes.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 10:13 

I have a plan to use a 6C10 (a compactron containing 3 hi-mu triodes) in a phono-preamp stage, as well as plans to use the 6T9 in a PP stereo amp. I have several 6T9s (my avatar is one of those). I have also picked up a few compactrons containing a med-mu, hi-mu and pentode in a single package (a true single tube amp ;)). I have an idea for a "flea-power" guitar amp for those (SE, about 1w).

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 10:59 

When checking the first link on my list, Jeff's tubelist, I find a lot of heavy tubes with a Pa of 20 ... 30 ... 40W. Are any of those useful in audioapplications or do they need tons of FB? Tubes like EL504/509/519 have found their way into audio amps and they were intented for other purposes. Not to mention tubes like the Russian 6S33S.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 14:40 

The 6LF6 is useful in audio applications. I built a cathode follower output amp with it's octal cousin. Also great for making high power screen driven PP amps. When triode trapped it has a low Rp. The 6LR6 is also another tube good for audio, at least for PP, I haven't tried it in SE yet.