DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 19:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Complete newbie.
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 10:20 

Hi all,

Thought I should introduce myself, Im Matt and I'm a complete newbie. Ive been interested in DIY audio for a while on and off and think it's about time I started to learn about the subject properly and perhaps undertake a couple of basic projects.

Rather than spam up the forum with too many questions that have already been answered can anyone recommend some books? Speaker design and something about the theory and design of tube amps would be great. I realise all the information I could want is online, but somehow reading a book is easier for me than staring at a screen, and the knowledge sinks in faster too!

Cheers

Matt

Post subject: Re: Complete newbie.
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 19:56 
Editor

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

You can find some book suggestions here: http://diyaudioprojects.com/diy-audio/d ... -books.htm

If your interest includes tubes, you can find some good PDF books here: http://tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 01:55 

thanks! Why didnt I spot the 1st link myself though? DOH!

I'll get a couple ordered I think.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 15:11 

Hi Matt!

Welcome to this fine forum! :)

Cheers,

Miguel

Post subject: New Guy From So-Cal
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 15:42 

Hi I am Mike. I play upright bass in a couple bands and enjoy learning new things, like amp building. I am currently building a Fender Bassman clone in a 1930's Philco radio. Here are a couple pics:

What I started with:

And where I am at so far:

Its coming along nicely, but I still have a few bugs to work out. Its my first build, so some problems are suspected.

Post subject: Re: New Guy From So-Cal
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 21:34 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Interesting build. If you run into problems with the chassis... check out Tube Depot on the web. They carry a number of blank guitar amp chassis. One of my projects that is now in the design phase is a guitar head amp. It is not like any particular existing design ( the folks that know me say so what is new about that). The current plans are for both clean and not clean channels with essentially the usual range of controls. Output is presently designed around push pull 6L6GCs running class A ultra linear. The clean channel will be really clean and the other can be altered to your heart's content. Power output will be modest at about 15 watts RMS clean and around 50% more when pushed.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 22:20 

Sounds like a cool project. The chassis is the only thing that wont be an issue. Its the one that came out of the radio in the first place. The biggest problems currently is that it only wants to scream feedback. I think I have pin 3 swapped on the 2 power tubes. But I wont have a chance to check that for about a week since I am out of town...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:20 
Editor

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Nice idea that is going to look real cool. Can't wait to see the final result.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 11:46 

Hi all im new to valve amps i hope i can make something out of what i have in the way of parts i can read drawings for resistors links etc as i used to make avaiton landing equipment elecrtonics i just need help to understand this old technology , i have old tvsignal boosters a plenty in all manner of shapes and sizes and would love to make a multichannel amplifier somethng i could possibly use as a show off surround system

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 13:25 
Editor

Hi theodorebarnes, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a need for a tube preamp? A simple preamp will be a good place to start and lower cost than a amplifier as you won;t need audio output transformers and the power transformer does not need to be too large.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 52  Next