DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 05:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Slovenia
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 09:47 
Project Author

Igor,
Welcome!
I have been to your country on vacation and really enjoyed it. The coffee needs some work but the mountains were beautiful and the people were wonderful.
We spent the night in Ljubjana and went up to the castle in the morning.
Most of our time was driving and enjoying the mountains.
Anyway, I think if you are new to this hobby maybe modifying an audio card is a large step. Go for it but my suggestion would be to look through the projects pages and build one of the preamps or headphone amps that are listed. Most of them are quite easy to build for the beginner.
Ri

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 13:05 
Editor

igor0203 wrote:
Well tbh, I don't know yet. First I'll try to get experience on my USB sound card and minor modyfing NAD 320BEE and then I'll try with preamp.
What is easier for novice?

I would also like to know if I would gained something if I buy/make phono amp? As now I have NAD 320BEE for my speakers and earspeakers.

Hi Igor, the NAD 320BEE is an integrated amplifier so there is no need for a line preamp. It does not have a phono stage, so you would need a phono preamp if you would like to use one.

An opamp based phono preamp would be a good place to start as a first project (over tubes and SS).

Cheers

Post subject: Hello from GA
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2008, 14:33 

I am a student (29 married and unemployed)currently attending Georgia Tech in their EE program (just trying to survive right now) and stumbled across this site. The only DIY thing that I have done is a CMOY so I have a bit to learn but thats why in in school.

Next project is the MOSFET tube hybrid headphone amp with a built in powersupply and something to take care of the inrush of current to the headphones, shoud be fun!

Names Mike btw

Post subject: Re: Hello from GA
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2008, 19:37 
Editor

Hi Mike,

Good to have you here. A CMoy makes a great first project, I built one a while back as well.

Have seen Rogers 12AU7 Tube / IRF612 MOSFET Hybrid Headphone Amplifier project? What were you thinking of doing about the inrush current?

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2008, 23:29 

Hi mike glad to see you here and welcome.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 15:53 

I was thinking about using a thermistor to block the inrush of current but I havent looked much into it. Another idea was just a simple switch.
I apologize I was referring to that particular 12au7 amp since it seems to be a relitivly easy build.

I was wondering if I could just build a 12 supply in the case with the amp itself. just a 120-12v transformer to a 4way rectifier filter caps and regulation. Being new to all this I wasn't sure if regulating the current if it would supply a constant current or current up to the regulated amount.

Also is there an advantage to using a traditional transformer as opposed to a toroidal?

Hey end didnt know you were here too.
I hope you guys are very tolerant of curious people.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 21:17 
Editor

Sure, you can build your own supply as well although it will need to be very clean for the mosfet follower stage or you will get hum.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 22:17 

And thats where im having issues, how does one go about making a clean supply?
I was thinking about regulating it and using some nice filtering caps, keep it simple but wasnt sure if that would be good enough.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 22:34 
Editor

A 7812 would do the trick and it can feed the heaters too. I will need a small heat sink as it will be pushing about 1/2W and more if you use a regulated heater supply as well.

Post subject: Hello from CT
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 14:38 

Hi Everyone,
I figured since I spend so much time ghosting this site during the down time at work, I might as well sign up. I currently have no experience with Tubes, but at a prior job (Before it went bankrupt overnight) I picked up experience with mid/high end audio (Krell, Martin Logan, Focal, Velodyne) and picked up a Yamaha RXV-2600, Focal Sib/Cub system (Not a lot of space), and a Yamaha MCX-2000 (Music Cast). I heard about the mythical qualities of Tube Audio, as two of the long time veterans of the store had Tubes, but I never had a chance to play with them. Its my hope to start out by building one of the 12AX7 tube PreAmps, and work out from there. I know my way around a soldering iron, but I guarantee I will have plenty of questions.

-Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 63  Next