DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 12:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 19:56 

I have built a couple of these...the first one is disassembled right now because I was getting a buzz after I switched back from the linear to the switch-mode PSU but I will post pics of it anyways.

The first amp was a basic modified one, just removing the input caps and the resistors that cause a high DC offset on the output.

Caps that were tried were:

Solen 2.2uf
Vishay M-430p 2.0uf
Obbligato 2.2uf
MKP motor start caps 3.0uf
Auricap 2.2uf

Pot is PEC

The second amp is a kit amp I built using a heavily modified sure board. Also included is a large 3900uf PC cap from Vishay that was on closeout at Allied for like $5 vice the normal $15 or so.

Pot is an Alpha 50k

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 20:04 

The second amp:

And with burl on the front:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 20:57 

Well, I don't really know anything about these sorts of amps, but your work looks good. I can say that I have had good results using motor start capacitors.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 07:57 
Editor

Very nice. A lot of SMT parts on that amp. Did it come pre-soldered?

What did you think of the T-Amp sound?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 09:09 

Yeah they are $15.99 on Ebay. The one I am using right now has extensive mods including removal of the SMT power caps with Rubicon 2200uf x 4 or 6...cannot remember and new inductors as well plus some input/output stage mods made by removing resistors that were unnecessary...I did not realize I didn't have a pic of it...will have to pull the top off and take a pic.

I have been using T-amps since I sold my Onix SP-3 tube amp. I had an original sonic impact t-amp with the same Power One SMPS module (Allelectronics has them for $7.50, 12v 2.5a) that was upgraded with Rubicon caps as well.

I then switched to a Winsome Mouse which I sold after I built the Sure amp.

I also have a friend's Amp9 which is a fantastic sounding amp but it is not mine so I have not put any time into casing it.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 12:14 
Editor

ok, I have seen those on eBay.

I did an AMP6 - DIY Class-T Amplifier Kit and I was pretty pleased, but not with stiff drivers like Fostex.

I just got a SMT DAC kit and I keep looking at how TINY :shock: everything is. It does not look like it is going to be too easy to solder. :xfingers:

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 12:20 
Project Author

Try some liquid adhesive on a toothpic on the bottom of you smd parts. Then mount them all. Wait. Solder.
SMD placement machines put a drop of glue under each smd part before they get waved.
Ri

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 20:40 

Added a Sure Electronics board to my OmniFi DMS-1 music streamer (picked up the DMS-1 at Tuesday Morning for $5, best investment ever).

I haven't modded it at all, sounds just fine to my ears. Currently running in my "man cave" (the garage) through a pair of Minimus-7's and an old Phase Linear PC-50 passive sub. Plenty loud, plenty clean.

Streaming mostly from internet radio, but also my CD collection stored on a home-built NAS using FreeNAS.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 20:50 

Another fun project uses the T-Amp and speakers from a Psyclone PSP speaker system on clearance for $15 at Stootsi.com:

http://www.stootsi.com/store/item.aspx?item=55407721

Had to bypass the signal processing circuit to get the clean T-Amp sound back, but it's definitely there. This great deal also includes the 14V switching PS, and a pair of 3" fullrange speakers, which I put to good use as a table radio, greatly enhancing the sound from my Freecom MusicPal internet radio.

The all-bamboo speaker cabinets are actually bar boards (tops and bottoms) and cut-up cutting boards (sides). The amp cabinet is a bill/letter organizer. All wood from Tuesday Morning clearance stores.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 09:52 
Project Author

Tuesday Morning. Yeah thats a good place I had completely forgotten about.
Very DIY :) Looks fun. How does it sound?
Ri