DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 04:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 164  Next
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 14:39 

KrammeAcoustics wrote:
The build of yours looks great :thumbsup: ...nice PCB.

Thanks! Once it's good to go I have to clean up the wiring and throw in a 7805 for some blue-led action. (just can't help my self sometimes :mrgreen:)
KrammeAcoustics wrote:
It's not easy to see why some 12AU7 tubes, acts like this, but they do. It seems this problem with adjustment of bias happens again and again to "some people". I've tried the same thing with a noname 12AU7 tube, which also was acting more like a 12AX7 ...i couldn't adjust lower than 7,5 VDC bias. Problem was the border of 10Kohm. Easy troubleshooting for me, were to add serial 10K resistors, to the 10K trimpots, then it was possible to trim between 10Kohm - 20Kohm ( at ca. 13 Kohm, measurements was 6,3 VDC = half of supply voltage 12,6 VDC ). Problem solved. :wizard: An even better "looking" solution could be a change, from 10Kohm trimpots to 22Kohm trimpots ( then adjustable between 0 - 22Kohm ).

I hope this will help to future "adjust bias problems". Happy DIY to all. ;)

Thanks for the heads up! My tube / analog skills are kind of weak. I'll probably rummage around for some 10k resistors and
tack them the bottom of the pcb tonight.

Thanks for the *great* tube project! It looks cool, (will hopefully) sound great, and is a great learning exercise on tubes!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2010, 02:43 

Gio wrote:
santik wrote:
does anyone knows that any changes to capacitors, resistors that would make the sound bassier, brighter, more headstage, transparent etc? What I am trying to say is that any tweaks that could make on this circuit?

C1 and C3 can have a big effect on the "sound". Use your favorite type of capacitor for C1 (2.2uF). Likely best to experiment with C3 (470uF). Try different types and brands of electrolytic caps with and without film bypass caps.

Other ideas that will have less effect - low ESR for C2, adding bypass and decoupling caps.

Are you using a battery supply?

I will be using a wall adapter that are used in modem/router. It is a 12V1A dc... I presume it is good enough for the project...

Bypass and decoupling caps, what's that?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2010, 10:28 
Editor

Hi santik, that power supply will work, but unless it is regulated it will likely result in unwanted power supply noise (hum).

The bypass / decoupling caps would be a tweak to try improve the sound. Basically they will lower the ESR.
Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 06:55 

roggom wrote:
mxweas wrote:
So I heard some clipping and decided to check those pots again. At 100% resistance its only brought down to about 9v. I'm using the exact trim pots linked in the tutorial from mouser. Though the trim knob faces sideways for some reason. Any Ideas?

Just one more thing about the pot, you did wire it as a variable resistor, the center pin should be shorted to either the #1 or #3 pin. Other things could be recheck the value of the resistor for the LM317 should be 10 ohms and verify the pinout of the LM317 as well. There are a couple of variation I have seen out there.

So to actually connect the trimpot:
Pin 1 to +12V
Pin 2 & 3 to plate (anode) and also the gate of the MOSFET?

Isn't all chips pinouts are the same regardless the brand?
LM317 and the IRF510?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 13:45 

How to add in bypass/decoupling caps? Or it is already in the circui?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 02:02 
Project Author

Hi,

bypass and decpipling capacitors are little helpers in nearly every amplifier or other circuit.

Power supply decoupling capacitors can be used in the supply rails (12VDC / B+) of the circuit.
They charge when the power supply or the circuit is switched on and then act like a second supply.
Capacitors store energy and this energy can supply the rail (where they are mounted on) for a short time.
That results in a decoupling effect and a better channel separation and crosstalk is decreased.
Once they are charged they also can deliver high current peaks on demand.

the schematics does not provide power supply decoupling capacitors.
They usually mount nearby the amplifier components on the supply rail.
Also they are mostly electrolytic capacitor types as film type capacitors do not have such a high capacitance.
The positive side mounts to B+ (12VDC) and the negative "-" to the circuit GROUND.

Usable values would be 100uF to 470uF / 25VDC (voltage rating) per rail.

Bypass caps (C2) are especially used for bypassing the 12AX7 cathode to the circuit ground.
The circuit provides a cathode resistor (R2) which sets the BIAS for the tube. It allows to adjust the
flow of quiescent current through the tube and also sets the negative voltage on the tube's grid that
must be negative - relative to the anode.

When a audio signal is applied to the grid of the tube (signal input), the audio signal changes the
voltage of the grid to positive and neagtive. Low ammounts of the audio signal are also allowed to
flow through the cathode by the cathode resistor. The audio signal is not a plain signal wave or plain signal.
Once the signal flows, it could change the current that flows through the cathode resistor.
More signal = more current = more voltage dropped at the resistor. The result of this is that the
bias changes it's current at the same time. The cathode bypass capacitor provides an short circuit
for the audio signal. It blocks the DC from the cathode to ground, but shortens the AC from the Audio Signal to ground.
Once the audio signal is shortened to ground, it can not flow through the cathode resistor and the bias is stabilized.

That's what the cathode bypass cap does.

The bypass capacitor is already included in this circuit. The power rail decoupling capacitors are not.
It is simple to add some..

Have fun and a nice weekend!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 04:31 

Sweet explanation Tom!! :up:

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 21:01 

After a couple weeks on this project ,now i am finished my Amp, I am taking the enclosure from western digital network HDD
here is some picture

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 14:30 

Finished mine today! Took maybe 5 hours in total, and the stupidest thing I did was wire the tube backwards. It sounds really good when there's music running through it but my power supply (which I bought off mouser) isn't the greatest and produces the classic hum. Going to try a few other power supplies then build one if I can't find any good ones. Plus if I plug it in my laptop, or even to my iPod charging from the laptop, it produces a really digital sounding crackle which I think is from the laptop's massive power supply. The power switch also pops really loudly when I flip it, but it isn't really a problem if I don't have my phones plugged in. Here's some photos:

The heatsinks are mostly just for looks and adding weight. I just kept the MOSFETs in the case because I didn't have any mica pads to isolate them, and the IRF1510s don't have a metal back on them so I threw them up against the heatsinks. I didn't think heat would be that big of a deal anyways because I'm just running 12V 1.5A. Tube is a Russian Electro-harmonix 12AU7 which seems to be working great as well, but doesn't light up too much or get too hot (which is probably due to the low voltage and not a problem).

One thing I really want to do is wire an LED under the tube as a few others have done, but I don't know where to connect it to in the circuit so any advice on this would be awesome.

I've done kits in the past but doing the point to point wiring took a lot of planning, and making sure it was identical to the PCB layout took awhile. Overall it was a great project and I learned a lot.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 08:49 

solo wrote:
After a couple weeks on this project ,now i am finished my Amp, I am taking the enclosure from western digital network HDD
here is some picture

Hi solo

The enclosure is a good idea, it's beautiful and different. :up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 164  Next