DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2019, 14:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 20:26 
Editor

Hi Dinesh. How were you planning to finish up the speakers?
Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 23:17 

LOL i'm getting lazy. Should be with a black gloss spray paint (quick dry). Then using an acrylic clearcoat for the last layer. I like the way the yellow cones stand out on a black background.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 03:56 

I added some stuffing to the boxes, and the sound got too clean !?! :hot:
Can't detect any resonances at all. It was a weird sensation.
Makes me wonder if this was built to reproduce accurate sounds or music =D

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010, 13:53 

These speakers sound superb even after hearing them for many months. However, there is a slight issue with the woofer. I haven't addressed the gradual breakup that starts from 1200Hz and ends 7dB louder at 3000Hz, then falls off rapidly. There is no baffle step circuit on my woofers, so I think I may start with that first. If the peak is still there, then a notch filter will have to be used.

The tweeter seems very well behaved with no harshness. Silky but razor sharp top end.

Overall the sound is very dynamic, super deep and linear bass to 30Hz, clean sound. None of my speakers could reproduce a piano/saxophone/guitar as lifelike as these speakers.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 19:35 
Editor

Hi Dinesh,
Check out this post: http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/20 ... akers.html

It is much cheaper to build an inline BSC and put it in front of the amp. I can send you TinaTI model file and you can tinker with the values or you can breadboard it.

Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 22:02 

Hi Gio,

Thanks. That looks quite practical for low powered amps. How is the circuit placed ? At the input or output of the preamp stage ? Will this circuit affect the tweeter as well ? (phase etc)
I don't know how to use the Tina software atm, so I'd greatly appreciate some BSC values so I could use them while building up another amp.

At this stage, I need to attenuate the frequencies of the woofer from 2500Hz and above so it may end up to be a BSC of 0.3mH inductor parallel to a 2.2Ohm resistor.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 23:04 
Editor

The in-line BSC would sit just before the amp.

What is the input impedance of your amp and how many dB do you want to shed. I'll get circuit values for you.

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 04:44 

Hi Gio,

I finally solved the brightness issue. It was not because of the woofer, but rather, the tweeter.
I removed the resonance notch filter from the tweeter, and placed a 0.25mH choke to speed up the rolloff. Also added a 2.2Ohm resistor in series with the tweeter. The sound is very balanced now.
Finally all types of music sounds clear yet smooth. :thumbsup:

I don't think I will be using the in-line BSC for this project. Thanks anyway !! :P

Here is the final crossover. I can now install it into the box without any more modifications.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 11:10 

Out of curiosity, I removed all the ports and was very impressed with the new bass presentation.
Lots of punch in the 40-80Hz region and the midbass sounded fuller, warmer. This had a direct effect on the midrange, making it clearer but smoother. Odd. They sound like I added some valve warmth.
Dynamic range seems to have improved, transients slightly faster and the bass has quicker rhythm.

By removing the ports, the thickness of the MDF is the new port length, which in my box is 25mm.
The 52mm diameter corresponds to a tuning of 43Hz. F3 is about 45Hz but with awesome midbass punch. Loving the new bass !! :mrgreen:

Though the deep bass is attenuated slightly, I don't miss it at all! :eek:

This is something new as the low Qts kevlar drivers seem to like a higher tuning and a smaller box size. In my past projects, the 6.5'' 18W revelator Scanspeak midwoofer loves only a large box. 40L or so and I never got it to sound right at a higher tuning in a smaller box.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 13:08 
Editor

Hi Dinesh, You could also experiment by putting the ports back in and stuffing the port with a sock or poly fill. That will result in some sort of semi-aperiodic loading. You won't get deep bass and the midbass won't be as punchy, but I find it cleaner and fast.
Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next