DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 22:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Opinion on Hi-Fi
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 19:45 

I did consider this topic on another post but didnt go into depth on the subject so here goes:

What do you think, personally, means Hi-Fi?

I.E. perfect reproduction or nice sound?

My opinion is that the music has to sound comfortable and equal, no constant riding bass notes that resonate above the mids and the highs, and no highs that are harsh and sharp, and the mids shouldn't be buried but should be able to be heard. It isn't about making sure that your amp has a distortion level of 0.000001% but that you can listen to all parts of the music, nothing is too pronounced

Opinions Please! :mrgreen:

Lewis

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 21:06 

My personal definition is simple - The ability to reproduce sound that satisfies my tastes :king:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 11:58 
Editor

For me I tend to think of is as reproducing the recording/performance so that is sounds like what the producer/artist intended. I would also like it to sound good, but note that I don't think equipment can make a poor recording sound good. However, I have heard equipment that has made a good recording sound poor.
Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 14:43 
Banned

Gio wrote:
I have heard equipment that has made a good recording sound poor

Hi.

Yes, It happens to my own rig too.

It is a long & graduate improvement process on my gears to get many of my LPs & CDs sound from lousy then to nice now.

The graduate refining on the hardwares improves those previously found bad sounding recordings to excellent sounding. Time changes the sound from lousy to good.

c-J

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 20:36 

Gio wrote:
Note that I don't think equipment can make a poor recording sound good. However, I have heard equipment that has made a good recording sound poor

Interesting point and admittedly it is true, if people grow lousy coffee no matter how well you brew it its always going to taste worse than if you bought some good stuff, and if you just throw some good coffee in a filter machine it isn't going to be half as good as if you were to brew it properly. Caffeine analogies over, Can anybody here say they can tell a real noticeable difference between 320kbps MP3 and 24bit FLAC files? Surely it eventually comes down to how good your DAD system is, at the moment on my laptop I can listen to MP3's and FLAC files and notice nothing other than that a FLAC file is 70+Mb and an MP3 File is usually -10Mb. This could be the fact I'm using a laptop and not some fancy pants dedicated DAD

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 18:05 

I found the linked article some time ago. It is from Life magazine 1953. Very interesting.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... -from-1953

As far as what hi-fi means to me, it is a merging of music and equipment, as I'm continuously striving for improvements in both source material and gear, and I suppose I always will to some degree. Hi-fi is an ongoing journey with no end for some of us.

It's a bit ironic that some of my favorite amps are from the 1950s.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 10:49 
Banned

Bluesman wrote:
as I'm continuously striving for improvements in both source material and gear,

HI.

Yes, right on! Software (music) & hardwares (equipment) should go hand in hand. More we spend time on music enjoyment more we will know about how good our equipment sounds.

We should also go to attend live performance/concerts to get some idea how HIFI should be gauged. I mean live acoustical performances, not those distorted electronically enhanced music in the clubs.

Bluesman wrote:
It's a bit ironic that some of my favorite amps are from the 1950s.

Ironic or not, my upgraded Dynaco PS-2 & ST-70 are 50-year-plus old, still kicking around like a kid.

c-J

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 22:11 

For me, Hi fi....its all about sound quality.
Just make sure that the gear i have plays with excellent quality.