DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 15:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 165  Next
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 22:51 

Hi,

for 18V, you mentioned P1 is 10K. what bias does it set the tube at? is it just 18V/10K?

does higher bias help with the sound?

thx

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 03:03 

Forgive my ignorance, and my first post, but will this amp drive a set of 250-Ohm headphones?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 21:24 
Project Author

Lynxo323 wrote:
for 18V, you mentioned P1 is 10K. what bias does it set the tube at? is it just 18V/10K?

does higher bias help with the sound?

10k Should take the bias to 9v (in theory and Tina-ti). We are interested in a good swing, so close to half is best.

Rogers

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 21:25 
Project Author

lith wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, and my first post, but will this amp drive a set of 250-Ohm headphones?

Welcome to the forum, the amp will drive higher impedance headphones, but with the buffer are better suited for lower.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 23:45 

roggom wrote:
Welcome to the forum, the amp will drive higher impedance headphones, but with the buffer are better suited for lower.

Thanks for the welcome. Would dropping the value of R4 in your schematic increase the output current enough to drive 250-Ohm phones? Think of halving it to give .25 Amps out. Would that increase the volume, or do something hideous to the amplifier and my phones?

(Sorry, I'm pretty good with a soldering and basic electronics, but I'd rather sound stupid than do something stupid, at least when it comes to electronics.)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 10:04 
Project Author

lith wrote:
roggom wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. Would dropping the value of R4 in your schematic increase the output current enough to drive 250-Ohm phones? Think of halving it to give .25 Amps out. Would that increase the volume, or do something hideous to the amplifier and my phones?

(Sorry, I'm pretty good with a soldering and basic electronics, but I'd rather sound stupid than do something stupid, at least when it comes to electronics.)

The NP-100 is low voltage higher current, best for low impedance headphones. The Mosfet buffer is at less than unity gain and acts as a voltage follower, or current amp.

It will drive low and high impedance headphones i/e I have a pair of Sennheiser hd 420 at 600 ohm, just have to turn the volume up a little more. Lower impedance headphones will have a little more punch.

To maximize the potential of high impedance headphones, it is best to make an amp that runs from high voltage, like the Kurt Strain http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/p ... n1_prj.htm the Morgan Jones http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/p ... y5_prj.htm or even the Starving Student http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 22:52 

Yet another build of the NP-100v12. What a great project. Exactly what I was looking for- a low voltage project and a great sounding headphone amp. I learned a lot. So much more to learn... Thanks Rogers for a very well documented project!

I repurposed an IKEA Dokument magazine rack for the chassis and used a large 7 Ah SLA battery. Yes it's a bit heavy, hence the tube cage/handles.
Attachment:
Roggom Dokument.jpg

Attachment:
Roggom Dokument 3.jpg

Attachment:
Roggom Dokument 4.jpg

Attachment:
Roggom Dokument 5.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 23:11 
Project Author

surface tension wrote:
Yet another build of the NP-100v12. What a great project. Exactly what I was looking for- a low voltage project and a great sounding headphone amp. I learned a lot. So much more to learn... Thanks Rogers for a very well documented project!

I repurposed an IKEA Dokument magazine rack for the chassis and used a large 7 Ah SLA battery. Yes it's a bit heavy, hence the tube cage/handles.

That is one nice looking amp. It is amazing how we look at common items and see the diamond in the rough. Great aesthetics, perfect for the desktop.

Rogers

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 11:24 

Quote:
10k Should take the bias to 9v (in theory and Tina-ti). We are interested in a good swing, so close to half is best.

I re-wired my unit.

P2P now on pcb.
Heater VReg. set to 12.3V. (input has 2200uF||0.1uF, output has 470uF)
+B is 18V (2200uF||0.1uF)
P1 is 10K
Added 100R to FET Gate
Removed 100K pot on input

pc sound card output to unit. without music playing, I hear faint white noise sound. did not hear this in p2p version.
the output of the FET at source or Test Point measures 12V. total current draw is about 430mA.

sounds very raspy. any ideas?

thx

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 14:04 
Project Author

Lynxo323 wrote:
Quote:

I re-wired my unit.

P2P now on pcb.
Heater VReg. set to 12.3V. (input has 2200uF||0.1uF, output has 470uF)
+B is 18V (2200uF||0.1uF)
P1 is 10K
Added 100R to FET Gate
Removed 100K pot on input

pc sound card output to unit. without music playing, I hear faint white noise sound. did not hear this in p2p version.
the output of the FET at source or Test Point measures 12V. total current draw is about 430mA.

sounds very raspy. any ideas?

Ok, there are a couple of things to try,

First, make sure your sound card is ok, and try another source. I have, unfortunately, hooked up one of my amps backward and fried my sound card. The initial turn on surge (if hooked up wrong) is enough to damage the opamp in the sound card.

Next, if your computer has a three prong plug, use a cheater, or sacrifice an old EIC cord and remove the ground plug, With the PC grounded and the amp not, there is a chance for ground loop.

If that is all good, and you are using a 12au7 tube, try removing the bypass caps (c2). This action will lower the gain a bit. If all else fails try increasing the value of P1 in increments of 1000 ohms until you have a decent sound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 165  Next