DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 17:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 164  Next
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 22:19 

roggom wrote:
mxweas wrote:
I'm not quite sure how you have the potentiometer wired to the board. I'd like to out my potentiometer and input/output jacks on the same board as my amp.

Max, If I understand correctly, you want to mount input and output jacks to your amplifier chassis and have an external potentiometer? If so that is fine as long as you wire the potentiometer to the input. If you put a potentiometer between this amp and another amp, it will increase the output impedance significantly. So a good circuit would be cd or mp3 - volume potentiometer (audio taper, not linear) NP-100 amp then headphones or power amp.

For a really small and cheap inline solution, I have used these for CMOYS and other little amps http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20- ... B00001P4XH. Use them on the input of the NP100.

Out = Put. Id like to put both the potentiometer and input/output jacks on the same board as my amp. I'm not sure how to wire it though. How do I hookup the potentiometer to my amps input?

Thanks,
Max

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 23:13 
Project Author

You will wire the input jack to one side of your potentiometer, the other side will go to ground and the center pin (wiper) will be wired to the input capacitor.

Here is a great tutorial on potentiometer types and how they are wired. http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 00:17 

That looks like a wonderful tutorial, I'll look over it. One last question. I would assume you'd hook the positive on the input jack through the pot and to the board, but how can I do that without bridging together my left and right inputs? Would I be putting ground from the input jack through the pot instead?

Thanks,
Max

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 00:28 

You'd need a dual ganged pot, it's 2 pots joined mechanically together (the shaft) but are electronically isolated.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 00:43 

li_gangyi wrote:
You'd need a dual ganged pot, it's 2 pots joined mechanically together (the shaft) but are electronically isolated.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. So when the pot is turned to the full CCW position, the input on the amp will be grounded, where as the full CW position will have almost no resistance between the input jack and the amp, yet full resistance between ground and the amp. That's awesome!

Max

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 08:32 

tombethe wrote:
"dgadling" asked the members to check his Eagle based schematic he posted (20 Apr. '10).
The hint on the e-caps was for his schematic. He had drawn his e-caps with the "+"
to the input... Now - that were the things we suggested to change on dgadlings scheme...
I also suggested him (not Rogers) to use something like the Audyns instead of e-caps.
MKPs have the advantage that they block DC on both sides.
I mean possible DC from the amp and possible DC from the source...

Hi Tom

Now i understand. It seems electrolytic caps for the input, have been up to discussion earlier in this thread. It's correct what mentioned, when the electrolytic cap is reversed, it will work.

Prost :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 15:07 

W00t! I finished my amp today! However, it sounds a little choppy in the low end. I'm guessing it's due to my lower quality caps, but I'm thinking it might be the NTE66's. Any Ideas?

keechoon, could you post a pic of the underside of your amp?

Thanks,
Max

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 17:06 
Project Author

Max, you may be experiencing clipping. Measure the voltage at the positive pin of your output capacitor, should be about half of your power supply voltage. It looks like you went with the fixed resistor option, just may need to tweak the resistance. Let me know your power supply voltage and the measured at the output cap (+) side.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 07:32 

mxweas wrote:
W00t! I finished my amp today! However, it sounds a little choppy in the low end. I'm guessing it's due to my lower quality caps, but I'm thinking it might be the NTE66's. Any Ideas?

keechoon, could you post a pic of the underside of your amp?

Max, here it is ;)

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 21:22 

@roggom I think you're right. I got some trim pots today and that seemed to fix the issue. Thanks! Do you recommend I go for higher quality caps?

Made an enclosure for my amp today out of an old car stereo face case:
http://twitpic.com/1ij8ml
http://twitpic.com/1ij8mj

Max

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 164  Next