DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 15:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 05:22 
Project Author

This new thread will give members a chance to voice what gear they are listening to at present or what music is filling their day. Feel free to jump on and rattle-off what gear you have hooked up to spin your fav. vinyl of CDs. Or have you got your media centre hooked into you vintage Quad tube amps today with Bach or the Rolling Stones steaming through your vintage JBL speakers.

Give us an idea what you listen to on a day-to-day basis when you hit the forum. Let others know what is you fav. gear and in what combo. I quite often listen to my 6T9 tube amp with my OPAMP based Prada627 preamping the modded Oppo or the refurbished Sanyo TP 1010 TT.

Right now I’m listening on my main system: Modded Oppo, Tea Box valve preamp, Merlot SE UL KT88 amp in triode mode through my Osborne Eclipse speakers. And what am I listening to: Amci – Opera band.

So get onboard. Let us know what rocks your musical boat on a daily basis. If you, like me, have a major and secondary system, tell us what one you are on, what gear comprises it and what’s playing. If you make some changes to your system and fire-it-up, tell us how it sounds and what music you are using to test it.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 05:27 
Project Author

Earlier today I was on my second system listening to Jimi Hendrix through a newly purchased Garrott K2 cartridge on a refurbished Sanyo TT. The amp was my 6T9 tube amp and Prada627 preamp. Speakers -Kef iQ30.

Hendrix how he use to sound. No CDs around when he was chewing the strings off his guitar!!!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 15:22 

At the moment I am listening to a GRP gold CD jazz sampler in my Cambridge Audio player through one of my hot rodded HH Scott 222Cs. Currently connected to my big floorstanding JBLs.

I have several GRP recordings and without exception, they sound great. Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Kevin Eubanks.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 15:41 
Project Author

Whcih JBLs have you got? Got an image or a link?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 17:41 

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/jbl/floo ... 94crx.aspx
http://www.harmanaudio.com/reviews/jbls312.asp

I have these S312 models. They are a basic 3-way. They are not vintage, but from about 10-12 years ago. Not to be confused with some of the real crap JBL put out. The bookshelf version of this same series got rave reviews. I love them with the 222C amp mentioned. With a Scott 299, my Signet bookshelfs suit my tastes better. I currently have a set-up where I can switch between any of three vintage tube amps, two turntables, the CD player, and three pairs of speakers. In addition to the JBLs and Signets, which were made by Audio-Technica, I have a pair of Klipsch Heresys.

If I'm doing some really serious listening, it's CDs with the JBLs and Scott 222C. Or I listen to my vinyl with the Signets, Sony PS-X6(Signet TK7LCa cartridge), and the Scott 299. The two amps have a much different sonic signature, intentionally, having been restored using different types of capacitors, and a couple of other tricks. That's one reason I've fallen off the DIY scratch build wagon recently. These vintage amps are so much fun and sound so good, I can't get away from them. I have another 12 Scott pieces, and several others that will keep me busy in my soon-to-come retirement.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 20:32 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, Earlier today I was listening to the original PoddWatt (it is in my office and runs around 8 hours a day), XM (on the singer songwriter channel) feeding a pair of Klipsch KG4s (modded - just can't keep my hands off OEM stuff). At the time, Asia - heat of the moment was playing.

Tonight at home, Jakob Dylan and Neil Young on my main system - Martin Logan Vistas, the two original OddBlocks, the number 2 ForeWatt preamp (diy project report is in the offing when I can get to it), my modded Marantz CD5001. The subs (15 inchers) are temporarily off line.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 21:10 
Editor

Great thread Mark.

My setup for the last little while has been:
Oppo BDP-83 Player - for CD, Video and I also feed it with a DLNA server. This is a great universal player for the price - good enough for Lexicon to slap it in a chassis and mark it up by $3000. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/tran ... oppo-clone

That feeds a Behringer SRC2496 which I use to upsample 16 bit / 44.1 kHz signals to 24 bit / 88.2 kHz.

The signal level is controlled via a DIY Lightspeed Passive Attenuator.

Amplification is a pair of OddWatt Audio KT88 Push-Pull Monoblock Tube Amp Kits.

Speakers are Dallas Back (Rear) Loaded Horn Speakers with Fostex FE206E drivers.

And right now I am listening to the "Kate Bush" album "Aerial", disc 2 "A Sky of Honey" and the song is "Sunset".

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 16:44 
Project Author

Wife's out today so the house to myself.

Down in the second listening area (a phono preamp to assemble on the kitchen bench-where else?).Classic FM loud and clear through the 6T9 tube amp and KEF iQ30s!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 05:46 
Project Author

Day off and the good lady wife is out. In the main listening area.

New Oatley Electronics (soon to be released) JAN6418 tube based phono preamp, Rega TT with RB300 arm, Grado wood body reference MM cartridge, valve preamp, Merlot (KT88) power amp and Osborne Eclipse tower speakers. Classical and Jazz playing. Too good.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 17:17 
Editor

Hi Mark, the little phono kit sounds promising. This weekend I'll be at the Salon Son Image show in Montreal.
http://www.salonsonimage.com/en/visitors/index.html
So I'll get a chance to hear some very nice systems.
Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next