DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 07:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 15:33 

That was a very interesting read, judging by that, I've definately chosen the right drivers. I'll stick to the RTL idea too, I do like the RTL designs, just got to model a few cabs and see what I come up with. :D

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 15:38 
Project Author

Cant wait to see them :) Make sure to take pics of your build process. You might want to hook the speakers up to an amp and let it play while you build the speakers/at work/out to eat/anytime you are not going to be annoyed by the speakers playing. There is probably going to be a good 100hr burn in period during which you will not appreciate the sound of the speakers much. With my Fostex it was around that long and they were getting noticeably better as time went on.
Ri

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 15:51 

I'll remember that. I can sometimes be put off from speakers instantly. When I firsd heard the TDLs I had, I didn't think a lot of them. A friends dad had them before me and was running them from a Marantz PM44 amplifier, nice amp but a little weedy. Despite the speakers being 3 years old when I got them, they weren't really run in until a few months after I had them.

I like to listen to music quite loud when I can. It will be very interesting to see how these Jordans stand the test of time. Not that I'm planning to run them so hard I melt the coil of course.

:D

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2008, 18:23 
Project Author

I'll pipe in with my experience with the Jordan's.

Bass is really something special. With a little corner help, I'd be shocked if they didn't get down in the low 40's in my room. The added bonus of these drivers is they can play the complicated music that sometimes gets lost on the Fostex stuff. Really an all around great driver, but does take some power to get them to really sing.

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 03:28 

That sounds positive. :D However, do you think the 10W JLH I've not long bult will be up to the task of getting them going? If not, I might have to build the slightly bigger version.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2008, 07:02 
Project Author

I'm not familiar with that amp, but 10 watts may not be enough.

Mine sounded stunning with a pair of McIntosh MC30's, 30 watts. Real good with a First Watt F5 clone, 25 watts, but simply stunning with an Aleph 5 clone at 60 watts.

Let us know how it turns out.

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers