DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 06:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 19:47 
Editor

After I have stuffed the PCBs I go back to the chassis and do the point to point connections. I don't mount the transformers yet as it seems much easier to put the amp together without the (heavy) transformers attached. The masking tape identifies the loose wires.
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-Point-to-Point.jpg
Next I at attached the PCB and transformers and make the final connections. :!: Note that I had the diodes backwards in the PCB photo a few posts back! :!: Thanks Rodney for pointing that out as I had missed it when I checked for proper polarity! :hot: The diodes are placed correctly in the photo below.
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-Connections.jpg
And some finished photos of the second monoblock. I'll take some better quality photos when I get a chance.
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-top.jpg
Attachment:
OddBlock-KT88-Series-1-rear.jpg
I'm really enjoying the amps right now :king: but eventually I get them on the scope ... :ugeek:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 19:54 
Project Author

Its a thing of beauty Gio. Nice work.
Bruce is coming to the Audio Get Together :) I get to hear them!
Uriah

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 20:27 
Editor

Yes! I had heard that from Bruce. Hopefully there will be a F5 that you guys can compare. My F5 is a few months away - so far I only have the PCBs. :(

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 06:42 

RiGuy wrote:
Its a thing of beauty Gio. Nice work.
Bruce is coming to the Audio Get Together :) I get to hear them!

Damn it would be great to hear Bruce's OddWatts matched up against an F5. Maybe I'll check on flights again. :idea:

Gio, what board are you going to use for your F5? Did I miss a good group buy?

Alan

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 07:14 
Project Author

He got them from Peter Daniels at Audiosector.com
Uriah

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 16:45 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, Excuse my ignorance for not knowing, what's an F5? I was tinkering with my system today and swapped out the OBs and put in the amp I use as a reference. A vintage SS Marantz 1060. It has always been a good sounding amp. It still is, but when put on the Martin Logans (and using my tube preamp that has no name yet) it just came out second. It still was very nice, but seemed edgy and the top end didn't soar like I expect from the OBs.

I will probably bring the Marantz to the meet just to see how others feel. I do plan on bringing the original Odd Block project amps and a pair of the early production kit ones as well. I would love to bring the ML speakers, but they aren't designed for travel and even if I did we would probably spend most of the day getting them set just right. How to go about this might make a good thread on another part of the forum.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 18:43 
Project Author

Bruce,
Its only the best sounding Class A SS there is!! :) Well, that I have heard anyway. I have heard a tube that blew it away.
http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/F5-om_sm-080527.pdf
Uriah

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 16:52 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I checked on the F5. I actually saw the material before - just spaced out on it. I agree completely with the design concept of first watt. All the Oddwatts are designed to be very accurate and quiet at low power output levels. That is a primary reason for using class A operation. Careful matching of the components also plays a big role in this area. I am constantly getting email about various substitutions and the effect on the sound. Some are good, many are not. For example, using different output transformers. Fine, except the NFB loop is based on the characteristics of the ones specified. Others may work, but the NFB may not be correct. The results are unpredictable. It might be better, then again maybe not. There are numerous ways to model the behavoir of the changes and they do provide some insight. Unfortunately the wide range of tolerances combined with inaccurate parameters (specs from manufacturers for example) can easily turn what seems a good circuit into one that is marginal at best. Enuf' soap box. Austin will be fun.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 18:51 
Project Author

Those are looking really nice Gio. :up: This is beginning to motivate me to get working on my Williamson amp again now that I have a decent preamp to use on it. :P I need to try one of these F5's everyone is raving about too but I have to finish that little LA4270 hybrid amp first, and still need a good supply for my IRF640 headamp, so I've got lots of projects to finish up.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 15:34 
Editor

This is a photo from two weeks back where I tried out the OddWatts with a DIY Lightspeed Passive Attenuator. The source here is a NAD C521i CDP.
Attachment:
KT88-OddWatt+Lightspeed-Attenuator.jpg
I have over 100 hours on the OddWatts now and I am very pleased with them - enough so that a couple of my other DIY amps will be disassembled for parts. I checked the bias again and it was within about 1mA.

Later I added a Behringer SRC2496 DAC / ADC into the mix.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next