DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 19:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grounding Techniques
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 06:38 

Hello! Much work on drawing, I love it!
One small remark. This is not a technical note. X2 capacitor 1 uF may be reduced to 0.1 or 0.15 uF. Just if you can save a dollar - should do it :)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 08:28 
Project Author

Hi, I didn't check for that. My bad. I use a 0.1uf most of the time. I was just looking at the grounds and should have looked at the entire drawing. It is a great drawing, but I personally much prefer a schematic. They are easy to draw using the pre made circuit elements from the web (there are lots of them) and a simple program like MS Paint.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 12:27 

Hi Guys.

I did redraw the schematic I'm using also but don't want to post here as it would be off topic. Thanks for catching the .1uf error. That was a typo as the cap I drew in has the correct dimensions for the .1uF X2 cap I'm using.

So my final grounding questions are where should I terminate the ground from:

a) The ground from the secondaries on the Output Transformers (I understand this is good safety practice just in case there is a break down between the primary and secondary of the OPT.

b)The internal shield between primary and secondary of my torrid power transformer.

c)I'll be attaching the Hammond 5H choke under the chassis to the wood sides. Should I ground the case of the choke to the metal top? If so I assume this could go to the same point as the internal shield between primary and secondary of my torrid power transformer (b)

THANKS AGAIN for all the help!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 13:19 

"a) The ground from the secondaries on the Output Transformers (I understand this is good safety practice just in case there is a break down between the primary and secondary of the OPT."
I have not seen the scheme. Without it, I can not answer.
"b)The internal shield between primary and secondary of my torrid power transformer. "
Chassis.
"c)I'll be attaching the Hammond 5H choke under the chassis to the wood sides. Should I ground the case of the choke to the metal top? If so I assume this could go to the same point as the internal shield between primary and secondary of my torrid power transformer (b)"
This is not nessesary, in my opinion. You already have the chassis, as a screen.
By the way, I like copper foil adhesive. If you glue it on the wooden side panels, will screen at the sides. Essential that the foil is in contact with the cover plate.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 15:47 

zyu wrote:
"a) The ground from the secondaries on the Output Transformers (I understand this is good safety practice just in case there is a break down between the primary and secondary of the OPT."
I have not seen the scheme. Without it, I can not answer.
"b)The internal shield between primary and secondary of my torrid power transformer. "
Chassis.
"c)I'll be attaching the Hammond 5H choke under the chassis to the wood sides. Should I ground the case of the choke to the metal top? If so I assume this could go to the same point as the internal shield between primary and secondary of my torrid power transformer (b)"
This is not nessesary, in my opinion. You already have the chassis, as a screen.
By the way, I like copper foil adhesive. If you glue it on the wooden side panels, will screen at the sides. Essential that the foil is in contact with the cover plate.

thanks for the tip on the copper sides..

Here's the schematic. I need to figure out where I should be grounding the secondary of the OPT. THANKS!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 16:05 
Project Author

Can I ask a question?

Why the gain reduction on the driver tube? it only looks to be in neighborhood of 1/2 a dB. On a driver stage with around 22dBv of gain, I'm not sure I understand the point.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 17:13 

looking at the a scheme, I would have brought this point to the ground star.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 14:17 
Project Author

+1 on the star ground.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 21:03 

Suncalc wrote:
Can I ask a question?

Why the gain reduction on the driver tube? it only looks to be in neighborhood of 1/2 a dB. On a driver stage with around 22dBv of gain, I'm not sure I understand the point.

Hi Suncalc! I'm assuming you mean the 100 ohm R7 and R8? To tell you the truth I have no idea why they are being used. This is a design from a PCB that is no longer being sold. I redrew the schematic since the original in the PDF was separated by board connections. The original docs can be found here:

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4893

The good news is with my turret board layout those resistors can be left out easily if need be.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 11:45 

Could somebody explain how a safety capacitor can be certified X2 AND Y2 at the same time ? How can it be made to fail open and short at the same time ? I’ve read elsewhere that they can be used in both situations, but I just can’t figure out how it’s possible. Is it safe to use this kind of cap as bruce indicates in his article ?

Thanks !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next