DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 03:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 18:08 
Project Author

akhihar wrote:
My issue is that I haven't found an equivalent Edcor with 240V input. Could you suggest any other model? I am stuck with this tranny issue.

Any reason you are not using the Hammond?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 18:16 

Mark,

I have no problem using Hammond, but 369JX rating is not enough, but I do not know any other model suitable for this purpose. There is 370CAX, which too has just 70mA. I am not sure it too is big enough. Can you suggest a suitable model number.

Thanks

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 18:31 
Project Author

akhihar wrote:
I have no problem using Hammond, but 369JX rating is not enough, but I do not know any other model suitable for this purpose. There is 370CAX, which too has just 70mA. I am not sure it too is big enough. Can you suggest a suitable model number.

The 369JX may just be a bit light on. But would probably do the job. The heaters would be more demanding than the plate current draw. The next model up should do it easy but you get a 5V winding too. Good if you want to use valve rec.Can't see any power trannies suitable from Edcor.

369JX 250-0-250 60mA 6.3v 2.5A X6 50 160.50 145.90
370CAX NEW 250-0-250 70mA 5v 2A, 6.3v 2.5A X8 50 200.50 182.30

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 23:05 

Thanks Mark, I will go ahead with 370CAX.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009, 01:03 
Project Author

akhihar wrote:
Thanks Mark, I will go ahead with 370CAX.

Its a little more than what you want but better more than less.

You should be pleased with your 6T9 I play mine most days I can't be stuffed kick-starting the big guns. With Fostex FE167E bookshelf speakers it is very good. I do litsen to mainly classical and jazz.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 16:29 

Mark,

How is the bass with 6T9 and Fostex speakers? I really like music with mid and upper bass. How does this combo perform in that region?

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 18:18 
Project Author

akhihar wrote:
How is the bass with 6T9 and Fostex speakers? I really like music with mid and upper bass. How does this combo perform in that region?

Is funny you mention that. I was just listening to the 6T9 Fostex combo and was quite pleased with the bass. It was articulate, full but no boominess and definitely not kick-ass. It will not put you through the wall but it is extended and tonal. I stood for 10mins listening and smiling. I know that is vague but that's how it effected me.

An amp builder friend who is into very heavy rock stuck his baddest CD in for the 6T9 to play. It had way over driven bass expecting the 6T9 to go into melt down. It played the "music" with ease and we were both impressed how loud we could play it with a real thumping bass. The 6T9 punched way above its weight.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 18:37 

Thanks Mark,

That is all I wanted to hear. I have ordered my stuff, so I should start working on it soon. I may pester you with some minor details, hope you do not mind.

The world seems to have run out of 6T9 tubes, so popular??????

I finally found a guy in Washigton area, who had brand new (NOS, I think) GE's, but he charged me a bit extra, $11 per piece. But, I think is it worth it.

He still has 3 pieces (one of the not yet tested, he claimed) left, so if any one is interested, I can provide the details.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 20:20 
Project Author

I think the GEs are the best. I have RCAs which are also good. Get a pair for spare.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 22:33 

Mark,

One ignorant question. Does the power transformer or for that matter any part in the power supply affect the audio quality? I know the OT's play the major role in the Audio quality. But, does the power supply have any role at all, apart from hum due to bad filtering? Can there be a difference in audio quality between Full Wave rectifier and Bridge rectifier?

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next