DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 20:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 03:37 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
would be interesting to know if you could use a 6T8 or 6T10 instead.

?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 17:51 

well the STG board calls for using the 6T9 compactron mark, there also exists the 6T8 and the 6T10.
these seem to still be available.
i wonder if they are also a compactron, and, whether they would work in place of the 6T9 or, can we sub some values in, and replace some components and create the 6T9v2? :D

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 18:05 

A 6T9 is a triode / pentode compactron. Very little information on this tube exists. http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6T9 and http://www.nj7p.org/Tube4.php?tube=6T9

A 6T8 is a strange brew, made specifically for AM/FM detector stages. It contains a single diode, a dual diode, and a triode: http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/6/6T8.pdf No way to make that work in the 6T9 amp.

A 6T10 is a dual dissimilar pentode. I don't see it working with out some major rework of the driver stage of the 6T9 amp. http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/123/6/6T10.pdf

And 6T9s are like hens teeth! Good luck finding one, and if you do find one, good luck with it being a good one.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 06:32 

thanks Les.

theres quite a few high mu triode/power pentode valves ; however they are noval - so not an easy replacement....

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 06:35 

ah

http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/Comp ... ndex.shtml

Quote:
If you have some experience with tubes, keep in mind that the individual tube sections within a Compactron are often electrically identical to older, single-section tubes with similar functions. The popular 6T9, for example, is a combination of a 6AV6 triode section and a 6AQ5A power pentode section.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 13:52 

Grega wrote:
thanks Les.

theres quite a few high mu triode/power pentode valves ; however they are noval - so not an easy replacement....

Yes, in actuality there are a number of "common" tubes that could be considered early compactrons. For example a 12BF6 is a dual diode single triode intended for use in detector stages of a radio. The term "compactron" did not appear 'till early in the transistor days. That's when GE and RCA (probably only one of them were actually making them) came up with a new design incorporating the "duo-deco" pin arrangement. I only have a couple types. I have a few 6T9s I managed to grab last year (I paid $12USD a piece for them, sorry - not for sale, they're reserved for a project) and several 6AF11s.

:up:

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 04:17 

those 6AF11s are a nice little thing les.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 06:23 
Project Author

At some point I want to build a small 6T9 amp. All on a small cast Al chassis.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 10:11 

The 6LU8 look like a close match to the 6T9, it's different pinout however.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 18:47 

Hi guys,

It has been a long time since I posted. Lots of things have happened in my life in the last one and half years.

Anyway, for the guys that may need them, I have 8 pieces of 6T9s that I can sell. In fact, I am planning to sell my 6T9 tube amp that built in 2009 as I am embarking on another project. If any one is interested, please let me know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next