DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 07:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 23:56 
Project Author

rock4016 wrote:
Ebay has a bunch. The nice thing about TV tubes is that they made millions of tubes for them and the switch to solid state happened quickly. As such, there's a lot of tubes out there that are cheap and NOS.

Not like the 6T9 hey!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 03:15 

Grrrrrrr 6t9 compactron

I have also read similar with differing psu's and resultant sound wonder if a mashup of old and new is a goer

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 07:23 

Grega wrote:
Grrrrrrr 6t9 compactronr

What's wrong with compactrons?? :confused: My 50CA10 are compactrons .... and runs on 50V!!! :alien:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 09:06 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
Grega wrote:
Grrrrrrr 6t9 compactronr

What's wrong with compactrons?? :confused: My 50CA10 are compactrons .... and runs on 50V!!! :alien:

I don't see anything wrong with these tubes. I built 3 amps with 6T9s and now I understand they are very hard to source. I have a few sets left and about 4 odds.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 00:35 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
rock4016 wrote:
Ebay has a bunch. The nice thing about TV tubes is that they made millions of tubes for them and the switch to solid state happened quickly. As such, there's a lot of tubes out there that are cheap and NOS.
Not like the 6T9 hey!
Funny thing about the compactrons... The entire concept of the compactron was to compete with the new transistor circuits when they first came out. It was thought that if you could just pack more elements into a tube then they could be made cheap enough so that they could compete with the transistors which were, at first, rather expensive and not very reliable. However, this approach was quickly shown to be a dead end as transistors quickly became very cheap and very reliable in relation to tubes.

The consequence of this was that where there were literally millions of older style tubes in the supply chain as they supported the logistics of worldwide television maintenance, comparatively few TVs utilized the "new" compactron designs and, as such, much fewer of them were ever produced. This is part of what accounts for their relative scarcity today in relation to some much older designs of which there is an ample supply even 35 years later.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 00:57 

Well, there's enough compactrons and designs to keep Shuguang making sockets for them ;)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 05:06 

nothing wrong with the 6T9's guys, i've been looking for 2 to build a spare time gizzmos amp for YONKs - thats all :D

mark - spare a couple of 6T9's :D ????

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 05:36 

Gega: I have got some few I can spare. If nothing else comes your way, I can give you an offer you can't resist. :snowman:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 05:51 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
nothing wrong with the 6T9's guys, i've been looking for 2 to build a spare time gizzmos amp for YONKs - thats all :D

mark - spare a couple of 6T9's :D ????

Grega: Yes I have a couple I can let go. Magnus may have a better pair than mine. I asked one company for four tubes and they sent four from different manufactures in two different heights?? Go figure. I blasted them.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 06:48 

In any case, I have two GE and one Zenith and a very anonymous (paint is rubbed off).

―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next