DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 01:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: 6T9 valve RCAs and GEs
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2008, 03:30 
Project Author

I built two 6T9 tube amps. The first used the GE 6T9s and I have just received four RCA 6T9s. I'm intending to tube roll between the two brands. Should there be a difference or am I going to find out that one company brand engineered and made all the 6T9s in the universe?

I have some Russian 12AX7s and RCA 12AX7s and the RCA 's are long plate so very, very different different in construction. If I tube rolled between the two 12AX7s there should be a difference due to the construction.

EDIT 4 Sept 2008: Here is the Ultra-Linear Version of the 6T9 Tube Amplifier.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2008, 09:41 
Editor

The Compactron tube family (including the 6T9) were originally introduced by GE. Perhaps the RCA are just re-branded. How much do they look a like? Let us know how the listening goes.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 19:23 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
The Compactron tube family (including the 6T9) were originally introduced by GE. Perhaps the RCA are just re-branded. How much do they look a like? Let us know how the listening goes.

I am still burning in the RCA 6T9s. So for it to be a fair test I need about another 20 hours on the RCAs. They look extremely similar to the GEs. They are a fraction taller. I think I have stated somewhere else that 6T9s come in two sizes. Short and not so short. There is about 1cm the difference. This could change the valve characteristic a little because there may be slight difference in heat dissipation. When I feel the RCAs are run in I will compare.

I did feel when I went from the aged GEs to the new RCAs the sound quality dropped a little but that was going from matured valves to new valves. Hardly a real test.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 09:54 

So are you happy with the 6T9? Have you tried to improve the circuit at all? Since those Edcor transformers have UL taps, perhaps you can try and see if you prefer that.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 18:17 
Project Author

billp wrote:
So are you happy with the 6T9? Have you tried to improve the circuit at all? Since those Edcor transformers have UL taps, perhaps you can try and see if you prefer that.

I'm extremely happy with the 6T9 amp using the Spare Time Gizmo brds. There are a couple of areas where the cct. can be improved:

Use the Edcor trannies and the UL tap. You can solder the UL tap direct to pin 10 which is the screen grid and leave out or cut away the 1K resistor easy.

Upgrade the coupling and input caps to .22uf. This improves bass. Use a good quality metalized polypropylene as a minimum. I use inexpensive polycaps and they sound great. Space is limited where the caps mount but don't let this stop you.

Double the last PS cap from 100uf to 200uf and snub both PS caps (.1uf) and snub the diodes (.01uf).The snubbers for the diodes will drop into the same holes on the PCB - too easy. The extra PS cap improves bass dramatically.

I went over-rated with the power tranny (Hammond) and the Edcor OPTs are rated 15W. The amp produces 4.5W!! I also rubber mount all trannies. Keep the signal earth and mains earth separate. I only used silver based solder (5%). The amp is dead quiet. No hum or hiss-nothing.

The amp has a massive sound stage and very detailed. Extremely musical I would recommend the Fostex FE167E drivers (Gio's suggestion which I followed) to go with the amp.The combo of the 6T9 and Fostex is made in musical heaven and produces one hell of a sound!!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 09:31 
Editor

Hi Mark,

I looked at the circuit, but I did not see any coupling caps. Is this something you added?

Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 19:52 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
I looked at the circuit, but I did not see any coupling caps. Is this something you added?

Gio, maybe I'm using the wrong term but to me in the 6T9 cct. here are input caps and one coupling or interstage cap (.01uf). Have I used the wrong term for the wrong term??

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 20:57 

This looks like a fun project! Maybe I can make a bi-amp system and run tweeters off these. :P

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 21:25 
Project Author

billnchristy wrote:
This looks like a fun project! Maybe I can make a bi-amp system and run tweeters off these. :P

With the Edcor trannies I got 25Hz to 20kHz +/- 3db.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 21:33 

Yeah I was going to go Edcor too...definitely the best low priced ones I have seen.

Has anyone used their guitar trannys? They are spec'd 40-18k vice 70-18k and are in a lot lower impedances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next