DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 23:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 05:38 

I bought a DIY Fender Champ kit and hopefully I`ll get it in two weeks or so. All the woodwork has been cut and currently the head cabined is beeing glued!

As for colour I think I`m going to stain it in deep red`ish mahogny teac / something :P and ofcourse a lot of clear!!

Here you see the pile of wood and speakers..

Here you get the idea of how the speaker cab is going to look like.. Kinda hard to hold it steady while taking shots with one hand!

Better angle

Today I`m going to grind all the edges of the head cabinet and we`ll see how it turns out in the end! Stay tuned!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 08:42 

I`ve grinded all the edges and here you see the result! Looks pretty ok dont you think?
In 6 days I`ll receive the fender grille cloth and then I can start assembling the speaker box.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 11:40 

grinded the finish and gave it one coat of stain... just couldn`t wait :p

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 12:40 
Editor

That is looking great. Is the wood pine? Where is the kit from?
Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 12:50 

Yeah it`s pine. The early champ combos were made of pine too! I believe the sound in this wood would be much better rather than if i built it in "dead" wood like MDF or finer. As for the amp I bought it at http://www.stf-electronics.com
It`s the standard champ head, scroll halfway down and you`ll see it ;)

BTW - I see you have a K-12M tube amp! I got a K-16LM mono amp in which I've recapped and converted to a guitar amp!

this one..

Carbon Comp resistors and some Russian caps

I converted the little GE preamp in the bottom there from 6SC7 to 12AX7 as you can see, but there was simply too much gain and therefore I later removed the 12AX7 and recapped the preamp with new orange dips as well.

Front, alu plate with simple graphics :P

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 04:12 

I don`t have a scope, but I tell you bass is NOOOO problem here :P even though it`s just a celestion guitar amp speaker it punches out so damn much bass! Too much I'd say!
And yes, it`s a 50s General Electric preamp in the bottom. Just ignore the 12AX7 next to it... It's stock now besides new caps... the old ones were over 50 years old! :P Full of bulges and leaking as h*****
The guitar signal into the K-16LM tube amp was too weak, so I bought a preamp. :P

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 06:51 

Good inspiration for future project. I have an old Philips 10" speaker from an organ, some Russian 6V6 and an old idea to build a simple guitar amp (for my son).
I've been thinking of a Fender DeLuxe (6G3), Fender Superamp (5E4), or a Fender Tremolux (5G9). I also have something called Plexi 6V6 that looks simple enough.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 07:10 

Day 3, stained the head again (coat nr 2) It`s getting there! Just one more coat left and then the clear

stay tuned!

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 08:07 

Soundbrigade wrote:
Good inspiration for future project. I have an old Philips 10" speaker from an organ, some Russian 6V6 and an old idea to build a simple guitar amp (for my son).
I've been thinking of a Fender DeLuxe (6G3), Fender Superamp (5E4), or a Fender Tremolux (5G9). I also have something called Plexi 6V6 that looks simple enough.
Det høres jattebra ut! :P Litt usikker på hvordan det skrives på svensk ;)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 08:29 

tipetu wrote:
Det høres jattebra ut! :P Litt usikker på hvordan det skrives på svensk ;)

Nu blir våra utländska vänner förvirrade. De förstår ju inte vad vi skriver.
(Our foreigh freinds are getting Konfucian. They don't understand what we are writing).

But the Plexi looks very simpel: http://www.pastisch.se/faktiskt/Plexi6V6c.gif

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll