DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5678 sub mini tubes
PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 20:29 

Ok I got a line on a few of these little 5678 pentode tubes. anybody know of anything I can do with them? maybe a little headphone amp or something like that.
Steven A.

Post subject: Re: 5678 sub mini tubes
PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 22:12 
Project Author

I built a couple of headphone amps with a similar tube the 6088, looking at the datasheet they have pretty much the same pinout. My construction was a little crude but it was a nice little project, I made one with mosfet outputs and the other with an opamp out. Just be real careful with testing these bad boys as i killed a soundcard by reversing the input and output, then turning it on. Most of these little hybrid amps have a nice little inrush when you power them up so never power up with you headphones plugged in etc etc. All in all it was fun to build.
Attachment:
babyBic.jpg
Attachment:
schematic.jpg
Attachment:
BIC_done.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 06:27 
Project Author

Guys

I juts got into these babies only a few days back. I have built two preamps so far and find they punch way above their weight.
Attachment:
RaytheonCctBrdSmall.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 12:22 
Editor

Looks good Mark. Do the dampers help much?

Did you try stealing the signal before it goes to the opamp / headphone driver? You should be able to drive high impedance sources that way. If that works well, you could box it up with RCA outputs (signal before the opamp / headphone driver) and then take the output after the headphone driver to a headphone jack.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 05:51 
Project Author

Yes the rubber grommets seem to make a huge difference. I will build my own design with no output buffer/driver. Yet to come. I want to make the portable valve headphone driver first.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 12:36 
Editor

Hi Mark, have you compared the OPA2134 vs the stock headphone driver chip with your Grado SR80?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 16:46 
Project Author

Gio

I'm not always an A & B man but right from the start realised I had a better chip for the task intended than they provided. I intend to build the headphone driver version so I will get a chance to CRO them and listen. These days I'm doing a lot of listening through my new Phiaton MS400s (carbon fibre shells-closed back). Good but not as good as the Grados or audio-technicas.