DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 21:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 09:49 

Ok I got a pair of the dynaco
a 470 output trannys for my build and am trying to figure out what resistor changes I might need to change to use them or any other mods I will need to do.
Steven A.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 20:44 
Editor

Hi Steven, the Dynaco A 470 audio output transformers are supposed to be pretty good. I think those are 4300 ohms. What tubes were you planning on using?
Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 22:26 

probly el 34's or 6550's if they match up

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 22:02 
Editor

What B+ were you going to run?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 22:41 

well this is a schematic of my power tranny, if you look in the top left corner it shows 830ct I have two of these and two chokes from them too. I am still figuring out the filliment load as the unit it comes from has 6 6bq5 and 2 6au6,2 12axz, 1 12bh7 and 1 12au7 on the tranny.plus 2 rectifire tubes on the 5 volt side.

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hammond ... QR40_1.gif

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 21:37 
Editor

Hi Steven, the schematic does not show up.

When I am trying to size up transformers from consoles, what I do it look at the datasheets of the tubes and add up the typically operating current to get an idea of transformer rating.
Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 08:59 

interesting that it is not showing up for you, it does load real slow for me. I am going to add the numbers up soon but I am loading the van today to head out to Gardner Kansas for an audio fest of sorts. It is a all day thing this Saturday.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 07:33 

Now that our iron is soon to be delivered, I thought I'd post here my progress. I have yet to buy my chokes, but I am an hour away from Parts Express, so I'll probably slip over one day and pick up a pair of Hammond 193Js. I'm also wanting to pick up a pair of Eminence 15" Alpha drivers for my open baffle speakers. And I'll probably end up with a bunch of other stuff off the clearance shelves. Should take my truck, LOL!

Anyway, back to the UniAmp. I'm thinking of drawing up a design for my chassis and having a local metal shop do some aluminum work for me. We have made them rich through work, so maybe they'll cut me a break. For the front and side panels, it will be pretty basic 4" or 5" wide flat stock, 1/4" or 3/8" thick. The back panel and top plate will be 1/8" sheet. The bottom wiill be perforated to help with cooling. If it is too costly, I'll be in touch with Speedy Metals and do it myself. It will take a lot longer, but I can do it. Aluminum is so easy to work with, and if I buy my own metal, I can take the pieces to work and use the machine shop to my heart's content. Just wish I was more proficient on all the equipment. That being said, I may opt for a pair of properly sized Hammond chassis and add some exotic wooden side panels. With what these monoblocks are costing, I want to make them look nice. Can't see spending several hundred dollars and then doing a hack job on the chassis.

And I'm thinking of using perforated surrounds around the tube sockets. A supplier in Asia has some really awesome looking chassis supplies, among other things. Link below.

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.p ... d=1021#669

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 18:26 
Editor

Hi Greg,
Magnus had recommended that site earlier and I'm going to try them out too. There is a lot of neat stuff on there and the prices are good too. I got my delivery notice from Edcor today as well.
Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 09:35 

Well mine is on hold til more funds are at hand. I hate having to wait lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next