DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 May 2018, 15:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2012, 20:05 

All y'all been pretty quiet this year. How are the projects proceeding?

I picked up a couple of the boards locally and am planning on building either an EL34 version with existing iron or picking up some Edcore iron and building the KT-88. I'm leaning toward the KT-88.

I'm planning on using the Edcore TPC 10K/10K or the enclosed version M2M 10K/10K as an inexpensive substitute for the Sowter. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this? Or if anyone used the Lundahl open frame without shielding, did you have a problem with it picking up hum?

Also, if anyone has a set of transformers they will no longer use, I'd like to hear about that.

Dave

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 07:08 

Hi everybody,
Old topic but starting to build my own Millett’s Uniamp monoblocks and hope you can help me.
I have some questions relate to the differences between documentation and PCB :
1- R7 is open or short for unbalanced .
If I use the Sowter 3575 ,with unbalanced 2 pins RCA plug, R7 is a jumper or 1K resistor ?
2-C11 is not installed for choke input filter (LC filter) but if I want a CLC (PI filter)
47uF isn’t a bit high (simulate it in Duncan PSUD2 and have to decrease C11 to reach the good B+ value !)
What have you used and what’s your B+ measurement ?
3-To run a source directly,without preamp, a 50K volume pot would be OK (or a 10K would be better to reduce hum) ?
4-100R resistor of power tube (pin 4 of the socket for triode mode) must be soldered close to the socket and 2 or 3 Watts resistor is OK (no value on schematic) ?
5-R9 (1K resistor).
Saw that some DIYers change the value of R9 (3.3K instead of 1K) to avoid motorboarding,oscillation.
Any issue with 1K value ?
Thanks and sorry for my english (I’m french and 30 years without english lessons….).
Cheers.
Pascal.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 09:17 

Hi everybody... I just became aware of this forum thread.

Just a note about low frequency oscillations:

Generally the cause of this is bias instability of the output tubes. It turns out that 220k for R17 and R18 is too high for most modern KT88 and EL34 tubes (probably 6L6 as well).

I recommend changing these to 47k. That settles the bias down and also raises the -3dB point a bit (but still < 20Hz).

Pete

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 13:05 

pmillett wrote:
Hi everybody... I just became aware of this forum thread.

Just a note about low frequency oscillations:

Generally the cause of this is bias instability of the output tubes. It turns out that 220k for R17 and R18 is too high for most modern KT88 and EL34 tubes (probably 6L6 as well).

I recommend changing these to 47k. That settles the bias down and also raises the -3dB point a bit (but still < 20Hz).

Pete

Hi Pete.

What an coincidence... I found this thread today when looking for information as I'm thinking of building your amp P2P (I like the old ways with tubes :D). So far I have sourced OPT's and tubes. I will use the Sowther phase splitters. Still to find are 2 mains transformers suitable for the project. Either buy or wind for myself - not decided yet. I believe I got the rest in the bins :).
Looking at the schematic I'm uncertain of when to use what resistors when using balanced input and when not? I will use single ended input at least as a start.

Regards / Seppo

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 01:14 

I saw that paskwalito asked the same but got no answer. I presume it will be obvious then when I start my build :)

Regards

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 03:08 

Turbon wrote:
I saw that paskwalito asked the same but got no answer. I presume it will be obvious then when I start my build :)

Regards

Talking to myself here - looking at the schematic made it quite obvious :).

Regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16