DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 03:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 16:17 

Hello Marco, and welcome to the forum.

Do I understand correctly that your amp is fully together, but for some reason it is not working properly?

What is it exactly that you're having trouble with?

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 16:31 

ya u understand , i have a pair of amp completed 2 years ago , but the sound with 5998 as final is very bad ... so now ive decided to change the 5998 with 6l6 (metal covered black military version) , tomorrow if i have some time , i will post some pics of completed amps.
by the way im interested to listen my amps with a good sound , so if someone can help me , can post here some meaurements ti find the probably problems about the very bad sound.

tnx
Marco

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 16:51 

Marco,

Is 5998 wired correctly to pcb? It has a different pin out than the 6L6, so some changes would have to be made to the wiring from pcb and transformer to the tube sockets to swap in the 6L6.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 17:01 

ya .. obviously , for the "swap" to 6l6 ive to rewire and change some values of voltages to drive the 6l6 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 17:31 

Marco,

If all wiring and connections are OK, then something like a bad tube or bad component somewhere else is all I can think of that could be the cause of the bad sound.

Greg

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 17:37 
Project Author

send us some pics and perhaps we can be more help ?

-Dan

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 19:25 

Hey Bluesman Greg,
Did you get your amp straightened out yet?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 18:20 

Blitzen,

No I did not. I have begun disassembly so that I can mount tube sockets to the pcb as designed. My attempt to use the Hammond chassis turned into a bit of a fiasco. So, I've taken a bit of a setback, as I put many, many hours into what I did accomplish. I was very happy with the cosmetic appearance of the chassis, but under the hood was a pain in the patooty. Not so much in looks, but in trying to work on it. Suffice it to say that I will be scratch building some heavy duty chassis using raw materials from speedymetals.com. Something very manly for a manly man. HA! HA!

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 17:32 

hi all , ive write wrong in my previous posts ... :blush: , the tubes are 5881 and not 5998 :shock: :shock:
well ive taked today some pics but are very bad ... , tomorrow i try again fore some good photos.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 04:28 

Sorry to not be contributing to this thread lately. I am so busy with other things I simply have not had time. There are now another 15 or so potential builders who purchased pcbs and hopefully will join the forum and post their experiences here. And I wanted this to be a "collaborative effort" thread for everyone to use in hopes of helping all who are interested.

Cheers, Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next