DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 12:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 12:06 
Editor

Hi Dan, the resistor? circled in red is what we were wondering about. Looks like it goes from the PCB to the chassis.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 18:03 
Project Author

Ok,

I am not sure but it looks like Mr. Millet has used a "ground lift" ???
so there is a 5-10 Ohm resistor between audio ground the chassis, to prevent ground loops etc.
Having said that the pic is a little blurry....

-Dan

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 12:04 
Editor

Yeah, it is not clear so I will email Mr. Millett and ask.
Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 12:25 
Editor

Pete wrote back very quickly and here is his response regarding grounding of the PCB (and the two resistors seen in the photo 3 posts back).

Quote:
It's rather hard to see, but the "RECT CT" pin on the PCB is wired to the center tap of the HV winding on the power transformer. There is also a wire from the CT (at the transformer) to a ground lug that is located right next to the white power resistor (I think the black wire). This lug is the chassis ground point. Wires (green) also run from there to the (-) side of the output jacks (and also, on this particular power transformer, a shield/ground pin).

The resistors were an afterthought. The B+ was too high using the transformers I had, so one of the resistors (the white one) is in series with the choke, and the brown one is connected from B+ to GND (big bleeder resistor). This is just to drop the B+. You'll also note I removed the first filter cap so the way I built it it's actually a choke-input filter.

Pete

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 16:42 
Project Author

Wow Lucky you asked !!

Thanks Gio/Pete

-Dan

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 17:29 

I've completed one amp. However I have an ugly "static" on the output. Music can be easily heard, but the static is really bad. The noise does not change with volume increase. It sounds exactly like noise one would hear while tuning an old AM radio.

Is it possible that my 3" wires from the pcb to the chassis mount sockets are acting as antennae?

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 18:37 
Project Author

HI Greg,

Do you have a pic of the setup? Perhaps we can help you out.

PS - yes it is possible

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 20:07 
Editor

Hey Greg, a couple more items to check.
- When you power off, does the noise go away immediately or does it fade away?
- What happens when you touch the chassis, pot, RCA jack?
- Is there noise with no input connected?
- Does the noise change if you change the source?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 04:04 

Thanks Gio!

I'll have to do some testing with a different source and with the source disconnected. I'm also going to swap out the tubes. I have some old ones in for start up. Maybe one of those has an issue.

Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 06:58 

hi all , im marco from Milano -Italy , ive purchased two years ago , a pair of pcb millett uniamp , but after the assembly (with 5998 as final) :worried: ......
now ive a quartet of 6L6 , someone can help me to make "sound" from those amps?

sorry 4 my english ..... :eek:

tnx

marco

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next