DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jan 2021, 18:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 03:13 

Hello to all
Iam a technician of old TV radios I want to know if a tube is working well or not working. test the short circuit, leakage and emission.
Witch you advise me tube tester or curve tracer
the eico 667 is good but does not test compactons tubes
Best regards

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2020, 09:01 

Hi @Atifmo,

I have several tube testers, but unfortunately, none of them can test compactron tubes :

I had a Knight 600, and this one has the compactron socket, but this not a premium tube tester (rather inconclusive).

Cheers,

-tbln.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2020, 21:35 
Project Author

Hi, I use a tester, but then I have plenty of each type of tube I use to swap one if in doubt. Looking at the photo...the H600 looks identical to the TV7/D/U I have. A rather modest device, but does the job.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 03:02 

You can test compactron tubes on the 539c with a ca4 adapter module. They come up on the bay every so often for about a hundred bucks or so. I picked one up not too long ago.

The eico 666 also has an adapter for testing compactron tubes. The big drawback to the 666 though is there is a short in the tube it will pop the fuse. I put a breaker in mine so that I wouldnt have to take out a zillion screws just to replace the fuse.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020, 15:13 

Atifmo wrote:
Hello to all
Iam a technician of old TV radios I want to know if a tube is working well or not working. test the short circuit, leakage and emission.
Witch you advise me tube tester or curve tracer
the eico 667 is good but does not test compactons tubes
Best regards

The Eico 667 does, in fact, test compactrons. I am the author of the "EICO 667 Tube and Transistor Tester" article located in the DIY Audio Projects Test Equipment & Tools section ( http://diyaudioprojects.com/Testeq/EICO-667/ ) and the "Vacuum Tube Tester - helpful hints" thread. The images you see in the 667 article, I have a tube setup for testing. That tube is a 6T9 compactron. You can find the tube chart for the tubes the 667 can test at the very bottom of that article.
In the life of the vacuum tube technology, compactrons were the "late entry" and it is possible there are some compactrons that are not listed. This doesn't mean it can't be tested, just requires a little more work to figure out the settings that would effectively test the tube. You would need actual tube data from the tube manufacturer. You can find most of these data sheets @ Frank's Electron Tube pages ( http://tubedata.milbert.com/index.html ). You would also need a deep understanding of the various controls of the tester.

As in life, compromises are necessary. As such, one of the compromises with the Eico 667 from its older sister, Eico 666, was the loss of the ability to test 4, 5, & 6 pin bottles natively - they can be tested with an adapter. That trade off allows the Eico 667 to support the duodeca (12 pin) tube - the base for a great number of compactrons - natively.

:beerchug: Cheers!

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien