DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 17:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: 845 amp project
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 20:06 

So.. Over the past few months I've been doing a lot of research on an 845 amp design that I can tackle. Still working on a few things with the design, but when I have a completed schematic I'll post it here.

It's still the early stages, but I have been collecting parts, and I'll be posting in this thread as the build progresses.. It'll be a long while..
So I happened to order some 845 tubes from a reputable seller on ebay, anyways they arrived and I'm concerned about one of them. The plate seems to be loose in one of the tubes. Here's a video https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_8mD0hS_1d_VWo1eVJiSlloN2s&usp=sharing that shows what I'm talking about.

I'm assuming this isn't good.. I've contacted the seller to see what they can do about it, but just thought I'd post about it in case this isn't such a big deal.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: 845 amp project
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 20:50 
Project Author

This is a bad tube with a serious manufacturing defect. The plate was not properly welded to the supports. Return the tube immediately.

I am at a loss for how such a tube would pass initial ATP. You said "reputable seller". Are you totally sure the seller is not selling factory rejects. This is a very common practice in the counterfeit devices market.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 21:05 

Suncalc wrote:
This is a bad tube with a serious manufacturing defect. The plate was not properly welded to the supports. Return the tube immediately.

I am at a loss for how such a tube would pass initial ATP. You said "reputable seller". Are you totally sure the seller is not selling factory rejects. This is a very common practice in the counterfeit devices market.

They have a good ebay reputation. 475 positive feedback messages and 4 negative in the past year.

I suppose I don't know that they're not factory rejects for sure, but they're listed as "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging". I've emailed them to see what they say because they make a note of stating in their ad's that they'll work with buyers to resolve any issues.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 23:10 

I'm not a fan of buying tubes from Ebay unless there is absolutely no choice. I prefer to use known reputable tube dealers like The Tubestore.
I hope you can send it back.
Do not use it.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 23:18 

blackdog wrote:
I'm not a fan of buying tubes from Ebay unless there is absolutely no choice. I prefer to use known reputable tube dealers like The Tubestore.
I hope you can send it back.
Do not use it.

Yea, I'll see if I can just do a refund and send them back.. Lesson learned.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 02:41 

It may not have been him. There's some pretty nasty gorillas working in shipping tubes :nuke:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 09:10 

Geek wrote:
It may not have been him. There's some pretty nasty gorillas working in shipping tubes :nuke:

True enough. In any case He'll do a refund for me when I ship them back.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 21:21 
Project Author

Well, I don't know what you paid the E-Bay guy, but 845s are listed as $446.45 at the AES website, i.e. http://www.tubesandmore.com, ["OUCH" :eek: ] but are only $99.95 at TubeDepot. So you do have options.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 22:12 

Hundred bucks from Jon, as well:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/845-T ... uguang-845

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 23:47 

Geek wrote:

Yea, I'm planning to go with those ones from thetubestore.com I think.

I think that 845 for sale at AES is old stock, American made.. They're pretty much gold these days. But the Chinese ones are supposed to be pretty good. I talked to Jon at thetubestore, and he said that the quality control on the Shuguang ones is generally quite good, but he said because of the weight of the plate assembly, it's not unheard of for something to break during shipping, especially when travelling all the way over here from China.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next