DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jan 2021, 18:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2020, 17:24 
Project Author

The kit is not cheap but worth it. Lots of quality bits. But your passives on the back of the PCB so the tubes can stick out the top.

I developed a universal external PS some years ago and use it on all my preamps and phono amps. It uses a 24V 1A AC wall wart. To get HT I run that into a 24VAC 120mA step down Tranni backwards. Then rectify and heavily filter. Produces about 250V. Double Pi choked filtered And I rectify the filament voltage - Double Pi.

The result is a very cheap dead quiet PS I can use for 12A?? And 6SN7s.
Attachment:
83E0EEE6-A37E-4907-BA54-937E4578C6E3.jpeg

I may have a schematic I made of that helps. HT filtering; 100uf-5H-100uf-100ohms-200uf.

Vf- 4700uf 50v-20ohms-4700uf 25V. You still have to limit Vf in the preamp.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2020, 08:47 

Schematic please?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2020, 17:28 
Project Author

Here is an early version of the PS which uses a wall wart for the initial 24VAC and then adds a step down Tranni backward to raise the voltage. In my more recent versions the 330R resistor is replaced with a 5H Hammond 50mA choke and a second stage is added. That is a 100ohm resistor and 200uF of 400V caps. As above C-L-C-R-C. Add a 220K 1W bleed resistor across the HT on the end and a 0.1uF 630V poly cap to reduce noise.

On the filament heater section change the 220uf cap to 4700uF 35V cap, change the 100ohm resistors to 27ohm in parallel with 47ohm, both 10W and the last cap is 4700uf 25V. No regulator. The Vf will be about 25V. In the preamp, in the heater cct. add an X ohm resistor to get the voltage down to 12V under load. You will have to experiment here. Start very high and work down until you get 12V or 6 whatever you need for correct filament voltage. Use a 5W. Just start stupid high and work down.
Attachment:
E1ED5181-65A1-4651-B0CC-BD67B8B1B9D8.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.