DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 14:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 05:59 

I am interested in building a valve hi fi for my living room and would like some suggestions for the project.

I have built a couple valve guitar amps and a lot of DIY synth projects so I have some experience. Ideally I'd love to start with a circuit from a classic hi fi stereo but I'm having trouble finding one that suits.

I don't have much space so I'd love to avoid having a separate preamp and power amp. I would like to be able select between a few different inputs: an optical to RCA coming off my TV, and a phono preamp, and maybe a CD player. And of course it would be good to have a volume and perhaps tone control. Are there any classic integrated preamp and power amp designs? It seems like I could just use a classic power amp design and modify it to add an input selector and a volume attenuator - or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 12:28 

If you just have line level inputs, almost any power amplifier can be turned into an integrated amp. Just add a selctor switch and a potentiometer (or two) and you are there.
All my amps (Darling, Stealth5, 5998A-SE and a bunch more that is on their way) are nothing but power amps with necessary add-ons for adjusting volume and in some cases selector switches (and even iPod docking stations).

(However, I have a few preamps, including a PAS3X in the production line ... just for ... fun :confused: ).

I wwould really love to hear more about your synth modules as I am a big fan of MFOS and am struggling with an Anushri.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 08:16 

Hi Soundbrigade. Thanks for the pointers. Would the potentiometer be inserted between input and first stage?

MFOS's Noise Toaster was my first synth-diy project as a matter of fact. I haven't built an Anushri but I did build a Shruthi and an Ambika. They are both fun synths. I have two homemade cases of eurorack modules that I've built, and a TTSH.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 09:15 

Directly at the input. It's good to have a bleeder to GND and a smaller to grid. Look at the two lowest schematic: http://www.pastisch.se/tubes/5998A_SE.htm

PS. Got the PCBs for the 2nd Noisetoaster and the Echo Rockit today.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 07:00 

Hi,

Bruce’s PoddWatt would work fine.

It can be found in the schematics section and there is a thread

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 14:29 

That Poddwatt sounds good. Thanks!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 15:53 
Project Author

Hi, I don't promote my own projects as I figure they should do that on their own. However either the early version of the Poddwatt with a single power supply or the later one with the dual supply are rather nice amplifiers. If you prefer mono blocks then the mini-blocks are each 1/2 of a the dual Poddwatt. I use them in my present system. 8-) In any case using the latest schematics for them is beneficial. The attached schematics are the ones to use.

EDIT: (gads...I can't believe that the design has lasted 5 years without any need for updating) PS the power supply shown is for the Dual version (two are needed for it) and Mono Block version. If you want a single supply for a stereo amp then the one in the early posted project is the one to use.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
Poddwatt DMB Main Circuit August 25, 2013.jpg
Attachment:
Poddwatt DMB PS August 25 2013B.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.