DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 10:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 18:49 
Webmaster

For those who asked about the Wiliamson 6SN7 6L6 Tube Amp posted in the Photo Gallery, here are some more details.

The valve lineup for each channel is a 6SN7 as first amplifier and phase splitter, followed by another 6SN7 driving a pair of 6L6s. The bias is set using active semiconductor current sinks. The 400V is generated by a double anode diode (5R4) driving a choke input filter. The audio output transformers are Hammond Manufacturing 1620s. With a conservative rating of 20W per channel, measured frequency response is 10Hz to 40KHz with minimal square wave overshoot.

Attachment:
Williamson-6SN7-KT66-Ultra-Linear-Tube-Amp-Schematic.pdf
Attachment:
5R4-Tube-Power-Supply-Schematic.pdf

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 19:26 
Project Author

Thank you very much! :up: That actually helps me out allot because it gives me some idea of the voltages I will get out of the power supply and I may actually be able to use the CCS circuit.

It would still be nice to talk to the builder himself for design and construction tips. I have been working on the amplifier chassis for a while now, but I expect tho have this project up and working by summer at the latest, I hope.

Thanks! :up: :up:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 22:25 
Project Author

Hi, Very nice build. I like the idea of CCS in the cathode circuit. A CCS there has the potential to linearize the performance of an amplifier substantially. If you want to try a variation that can provide even higher quality sound, try JJ KT77s in place of the 6L6GCs. I have found the 77s to have more detail than the 6L6s. The 6L6s on the other hand seem to have a more gutsy (nice techie term there) bottom end than the 77s.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 09:54 
Project Author

I would like to know if the CCS shown above would be better than the TL783 regulator as a CCS, and if so what values would need to be changed in order to use other tubes such as 5881, 6V6, EL34, or KT88, 6550, etc if any?

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 19:06 

I have two Hammond 1650k parallel push-pull in hand. I can use them for this project?
Best regards.

https://www.hammfg.com/fr/electronics/t ... /1608-1650