DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 03:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 17:28 
Project Author

Generally used as a two channel mixer and amplifier, like this:
Attachment:
6J6Mixer.jpg
Nice for building stereo driven "mono"-blocks.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 17:39 
Project Author

Hi, It can make a small push-pull power amp. If you look at the baby sort of oddwatt headphone amp I posted a while ago...you can do the same thing with the 6J6.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 20:46 
Project Author

I would image these tubes are quite cheap and there may be thousands of them around. The ones I have are GE NOS. Couldn't think of a better example of the tube. I've always found GEs to be excellent sounding.

The schematic of the HP amp I have should shows the input goes into the phase splitter with no input or preamp stage. Maybe this was done due the fact that the cathode is shared.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 00:41 

6J6 in my neck of the woods are considered "plinker" tubes. You can literally get buckets for free from those who have them.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 05:41 
Project Author

I've had further discussions with Oatley today and they claim that a SMPS is the way to go here. Theory is that it will not induce magnet issues into the OPTs as the current power tranni is.

We all know that with switching around the 400KHz range radiation of others sorts can occur. Of course we can't hear it but all worry about what else it is getting into.

I do have hum in mine thougn I have split the PS from the main board and moved it off to one side. I am told by Oatley that it is the use of OPTs which is causing the problem. I'm told if you pullout all the tubes you will stil get some hum. The secondary of the OPTs is floating so it must be magnetic induction into the OPTs.

The other alternative is a small toriodal tranni. Still a possibility. Or I find some tin cans and sit them over the OPTs and earth them. The frame of the OPTs is earthed which did help.

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 06:51 

The board with the opt - try turning it so the corner of the tranformer is facing the source of the magnetic field.

Attached is a 12BY7 I did with same hum pickup issues. Notice the transformer orientation to solve the problem.

Cheers!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 15:32 
Project Author

Geek, thanks. I'm still thinking tin cans.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 20:23 
Project Author

Some final images of the HP amp. I have managed to get the faint hum under control and have enjoyed a long afternoon on the receiving end of this amp. There maybe a SMPS coming out for the kit or a toroidal tranni.
Attachment:
PB263657 (800x565).jpg
Attachment:
PB263658 (800x582).jpg

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 18:15 
Project Author

Here is a second protype of the 6J6A based headphone amp from Oatley Electronics Australia, with OPTs. This time with toriod power tranni. I'll breadboard this one also. Haven't heard it yet. The toriod replaces the EI tranni because the EI tranni was inducing hum into the OPTs.
Attachment:
image.jpeg

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 01:35 
Project Author

Once more the I put this one on the chopping block. Too pretty to hide. Having a listen now. Early days but delightful.
Attachment:
image.jpeg