DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 13:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 18:15 

Hello there

i just finished building Bruce's poddwatt and i love it! seriously, far better than my (costly) IC Soundfidelity amp, and i'm very happy! seriously!!! I never thought an amp i built with less than 250/300 euros could sounds so awfully well

Now i have a question, just a curiosity, i listened to an hybrid amp, and i have to say that i liked it, i'm not going to buy/build one, maybe in the future, btw, what do you think about those amps? And why there aren't much projects/schematics out there? I can't even find guidelines or home-build hybrid amps pictures! it's because they don't worth the money/time or because they are somehow harder to design/build?

Thank you very much and sorry for my ignorance... i'm just trying to learn :( :bawling:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 22:50 
Project Author

Hi, I'm glad you like the amp. It has always been one of my favorites (all three variations). I still have the very first one from about 2008. It works fine. Now to the question. I suspect there are few hybrid projects because of the difficulty and complexity of creating the power supply. For most tube projects you will need a relatively high B+ voltage. For most SS projects the voltages are much lower. It is true that some tubes can run at rather low B+ voltages and there are a number of commercial devices that do that. A second issue tends to influence the lack of hybrids as well. I have assisted several students with projects for college. Virtually none of the EE degree programs cover tube electronics. They are aimed at solid state nearly exclusively. So many diyers that are new to audio are unable to design tube equipment because they have not been provided any exposure to it. Along the same vein is the difficulty of applying Spice and similar programs to design tube equipment. I have found that the current state of models are improving, but still do not seem (to me at least ) be accurate enough to insure the device built will do what the model said as well as the program said it would. (some folks out there would disagree with with this, and that is OK with me as I expressed only my own experiences)

The end result is that folks familiar with tube functioning tend to stick to all tube designs and those with SS knowledge tend to stick with it for their designs. Personally I do mix things a bit as I like to use what I consider the best components for any particular application. I use SS rectification, SS constant current sources and in my recent post of a phono preamp ICs and switching power conversion.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 01:06 

I'm working on a discrete tube driven MOSFET hybrid right now and they're a beotch to get right and sounding good at the same time :o

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 02:43 
Project Author

For $55 you can purchase a tube and chip amp stereo kit. The tube (6N3) really is a buffer but of course it does influence the final sound. There is no reason you couldn't put a cathode follower preamp (maybe a 6SN7) in the same box as a PASS F5. There is one hybrid. Yes PSs would need to be sorted but simple really.

Or to mix it up a little: a BOZ built into an oddwatt KT88 power amp. Think KR amps here.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 06:36 

thank you all for the answers! Yep.. we study nothing about vaccum tube... (i know they are outdated and stuff but i still love them since i found an old ww2 radio and tried to repair it), even if i am following the power electronics course, we just focus on IC, IGBTs, mosfet and stuff.. not a single hint about the past.. it's a bit sad... btw yeah i see... the power supply seems to be the problem... interesting, i hope to be able to design my personal amp when i have all the basic knowledge XD there are still many things i have to learn... returning on the topic, what's the advantages/disavantages of an hybrid amp? i suspect it will mantein the "warm" sound we love, but with more output power, am i right?

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 08:02 

TIJ-NIKI wrote:
...i know they are outdated and stuff...

You do know they are still being manufactured, right? New 21st century designs and everything are coming out :D
(KT120, KT150, etc...)

Quote:
...what's the advantages/disavantages of an hybrid amp? i suspect it will mantein the "warm" sound we love, but with more output power, am i right?

In a nutshell, yeah, kinda, sorta ;)

Cheers!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 08:21 

ahah! i see! :D

thank you! and.. i know time zones are differents, so i just day you all HAPPY NEW YEAR! :beerchug:

i just hope that my family doesnt try to use my system tonight when i am away at my gf's concert... brrr... i should hide all the amps :lildevil:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 08:33 

And a Happy New Year to you! :D
(still 19.5 hours to go where I am, but what the heck)

Your GF is a musician? You are lucky! Ladies of the arts are quite amazing (mine is an artist of the culinary arts - a professional chef)

Cheers!

*edit; append*

There should really be three categories of amplification; tube/valve, solid state and hybrid. Each are really their own and are apples, oranges and pomegranates :smoking:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 08:53 

here 9 hours to go XD

yep she is the bassist on a metal band (they make cover of Metallica and Iron Maiden)

XD i tried to "convert" her to more soft music like jazz or blues.. she is actually pretty good at those songs too but she keep telling that they make her asleep... :/ nah too much caffeine...

she: "can i play Pantera over your amp?"
me: "i'd rather destroy every single tube with an hammer..."

XD

btw i still need to understand the disavvantages of an hybrid amp, i mean, cost and complexity, but what about the sound?

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 09:42 
Project Author

TIJ-NIKI wrote:
here 9 hours to go XD

yep she is the bassist on a metal band (they make cover of Metallica and Iron Maiden)

XD i tried to "convert" her to more soft music like jazz or blues.. she is actually pretty good at those songs too but she keep telling that they make her asleep... :/ nah too much caffeine...

she: "can i play Pantera over your amp?"
me: "i'd rather destroy every single tube with an hammer..."

XD

btw i still need to understand the disavvantages of an hybrid amp, i mean, cost and complexity, but what about the sound?

There is no disadvantage in a hybrid amp. It's just another type of amp. Tube front end and SS back end is the more common.

Geek you missed one: magnetic.