DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 19:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 09:54 

No exactly sure how that should look. Mine is just a stock Hammond 369AX... just like Broskie’s I think, from blog 0275

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 14:43 

MrJackson wrote:
No exactly sure how that should look. Mine is just a stock Hammond 369AX... just like Broskie’s I think, from blog 0275

Grey wire? (probably won't make any difference) just worth a try.
https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/369AX.pdf

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 15:45 

Oh, ok. I have a different version, without the electrostatic shield. There’s no gray wire.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:53 

Just a thought of the pc board is humming or buzzing this could cause the noise in the output of the tube d are microphonic!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:57 

If you could get your hands on a scope it could be solved in a few minutts

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 01:26 

I’ve tried the board with two different sets of tubes. The old russians are more susceptible to vibrations (lightly tapping them produces a sound in the speakers). The EHX ones however are not. Hum level is almost identical between them.

I am planning to order a cheapo scope from ebay. I guess for “simple” home use in the audio range it should be decent enough.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 08:14 

I've ordered the cheapo scope from eBay... got a 10$ coupon for it as well. Can't go wrong with that :D

Anyway, I've found two other blokes that have the same issue. One of them has the first edition board (mine's rev B.). Either we're 3 idiots who couldn't figure out the instructions... or there's something slightly off with the design. Which is a real shame, as it sounds wonderful (in my setup at least, with some Dennis Had designed tube monoblocs).

PS: I've tried squeezing the trafo covers... no dice. I'll have a run at adding another polyprop. cap in parallel with C17 and see if that makes any difference (it hummed like crazy when I removed C17, so maybe... just maybe).

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 09:18 

I threw one of these togher from parts that I have. I made it on a small chassis with point to point wireing. I used a 5y3 for the power supply. Not a fan of diodes. I tried a.c. On the heaters with Some B+ on the heaters and with out. What I found is that some tubes him real y bad the Russian 6SN7s . The U.S. Made were quite and all 6SL7 were quite. Many you have a bad diode in your power supply. This design seems to work well. I may just build a few and offer them with my PP 813's.I will say this not to put anybody's product though.Tubes and pc boards do not mix!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 09:36 

Alpha Wolf wrote:
Tubes and pc boards do not mix!

Why do you say that? I'm seeing a number of people transitioning from P2P to PCBs...

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 10:16 

In doing this for over 45 years the heat from tubes caused a lot of solder joints to fail over time. Point to point is far beter. The only a pc board is used it is cheaper to make. I worked for RCA years back they used pc boards in the TV sets the made and it was nothing but prolbems. Pc boards flex a lot with the changes in remote and this causes bad solder joints over time. Hand wired point to point is far better! Any one can also together a crazy board but it takes skill to go had wore a chassis and it shows. It's just a better amp all around. look at the of Dynacoamps the used bad pc boards. I have in the past for more than a few people. Removed the board replaced it with a metal plate and re did it point to point. To make a better amp. That is not prone to falure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next