DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2018, 20:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 12:14 

Team,

Most likely this question has been answered before and if so, I apologize for the repetition.

I have built Poinz's Musical Machine (integrated stereo amp, push-pull design using 5965 drivers and 6V6GT power tubes, 6-8 Watts RMS output/channel), a phono pre-amp/buffer amp combo designed by E.J. Jurich, and the Fostex FE206En Double Bass-Reflex Speakers. They all work well.

Now am I itching to build a pair of Mono Blocks and would love to have your suggestions including schematics. Reqs:
1) proven design,
2) 10-20 Watts RMS output/channel (more is OK),
3) good bass response,
4) low noise floor.

The money is not a major concern, even though I do not want to spend a fortune. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Danny

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 14:54 

Try Bruce's KT120 monoblocs

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 20:53 
Project Author

Hi, Thanks for the recommendation. They are proven performers and pretty easy to build. Either the KT120 amps or the KT88 amps. The KT88s will deliver a really clean 25 watts with a bit of headroom over that. A bit less costly and easier to do tube rolling as there are lots of KT88s.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 14:01 

Would you like single end?
Dynaco ST-35 that sounds good at 15 watts a channel. I know its only EL84's ... but I think it has a transparent sound, and with some good components, two monoblocks would be quite reasonable in size, better separation of channels (of course) and leave plenty of room for modifications down the road.

I did design and build a SE amp for someone that I listen to often. It has been used for over a year and a half being played up to 12hrs. a day- but it only puts out 5-7 Watts, which I know doesn't meet one of your expectations... however with 89db speakers, it fills a 15' x 15' room louder than I find comfortable. I built it to roll tubes from 6L6GC's to KT-88's, 6550's, EL34's... The filament transformers would be able to handle KT120's as well.

I built it using separate transformers for the Power and Filaments...that way I was able to use Industrial transformers...and if one goes, it doesn't take out the others.
I recommend doing the same if you can...separate transformers also allow better heat dispersion...and the use of common transformers. 12.6V in series for the tubes results in less current through the heater wires, which is less likely to produce strong hum.

If you are interested, I can post some schematics...

My ultimate goal is to use the 813's I have... up to 20 Watts single end... but that is for when I get more experienced.

Roger

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 12:09 

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Danny