DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 02:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 07:47 

I am still very tempted to try out thos OddWatt construction but may (or may not) try it with 6550 tubes. I have a pair of heavy 6K6 transformers.

However I was suggested this (http://www.eflatjump.se/Soundbrigade.asc) odd construction using 6L6 as OP devices, an ECC88/6922 as input tube and a MOSFET as concertina phase splitter.

The file can be opened in LT Spice.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 12:27 

PICS!
This will by my 5998-amp. Unfortunately the chassis (Hammond) hasn't quit the right proportions so I have to make it a bit non-symmetrical.

―Lewis Carroll

Last edited by Soundbrigade on 05 Apr 2009, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 12:33 
Editor

Hi Magnus, that is going to look good. Can you post a link to the tube bases? They look great.
Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 12:44 

Oh, yeah, sure!!!!

Tube sockets, the alu plates as well as knobs and RCA- and speaker cinnectors I have bought from http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php. I even have a few transformer imported from VT4C, China.

I usually get the stuff sent to me in Sweden in a week - 10 days. And the postage to Sweden isn't that bad at all.

I have to say that this an emergency project. The microamp, with submin tubes isn't working, my PP-amp with 6N6P is humming away to loud ....

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 18:28 
Project Author

That looks like it will be really cool, I'm guessing the ipod dock is an addition as well? About how much power will you get from this amplifier, the transformers say 5-10 watts. The next question is.... will it be small enough.... ;)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 21:45 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, Nice builds. Just FYI at this point but an IPOD stereo Oddwatt is under design at the present time. A push-pull EL84 stereo amp somewhat like the original posting of over a year ago. Significant improvements to it though. Approximately 8 watts per channel. It will be a full kit and is intended for smaller systems and stuff like IPODs and PCs. The Big guys (Odd Blocks) are just about to hit the street. Not all suppliers deliver stuff on time to us. Our initial web site (http://oddwattaudio.com) is up and running, but really still under construction and you will notice that there are no prices (supplier issue / quantity pricing) and you can't order anything yet. Some of the photos and text are draft material and will be replaced in the near future.

As firm believers in DIY, we will of course continue to publish projects so that those of you who want to roll your own can do so. We also want to hear from folks who have built their own and like to know about any improvements that might get to the kits and help others. We want everyone to enjoy quality music regardless of how you build it.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 09:17 

I've read 8W for my amp, but that is two channels. I guess 3-3,5W is more reasonable. The components picked (transformers) are actually for other projects. The OP-trannies were taken from my 2A3-amp and the power transformer from a 6T9-PP. I have however other transformers coming in.

I had an idea to use the iPod dock for some other kind of amp, but I cannot remember right now which one. Maybe a 6L6-PP, but that doesn't matter. I just happened to manage to squeeze everyting in place on this one. One oddity however is the position of the input RCA connectors. They will sit on the side of the box close to the iPod dock. That way I have separated all HV/50Hz stuff from signals.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 11:36 

I nthought I wrote some comments on my plans to make something of the Oddwatt ideas this forum had given me, but I notice that no such comments are written so here we go.

I had this project of building a rather compact 6L6 PP-amp on a wooden base I had using some transformers that (I think) were slightly overrated. It should be most conventional.

Then I started looking into a hybrid amp using this input, phasesplitter and driver. As you see this looks a bit like the Oddwatt principle but working on the input device only.

So I dug up some components, bought long time ago and started soldering.

More will follow ...

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 11:50 

This is the underside of the CU-top meant for the Luxman clone.

And here's the top, but now this will be my 6L6 amp, based on the Ming DA 34 (A or B or C??) with the 6N2P as input tube. Got some of these from Russia.

And finally, here's the LM317 mounted on it's heatsink which in turn is mounted on the Cu-top. I hope this will be enough to "de-heat" the regulator.

We will be on our way across the American plans, deserts and mountains in a few weeks, so I will have no more time than to collect the components I miss.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 11:15 
Editor

Magnus, that is looking great. The heat sink for the LM317 should be plenty. Have a nice trip.
Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next