DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 May 2018, 11:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need guidance....
PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 09:37 

My first post here and already I sound desperate.. Good start eh? :bawling:

Quick back story; In audio for a brief minuet, only got serious about "audiophile" things a little over two years ago, life long tinkerer. Started with building computers but that's boring so im onto other, better things. Last year, I fell in love with Bowers & Wilkins and purchased my first set, a beat up pair of 686's. They were amazing and thus it begins.

Since that time, I've managed to build my "stack" of Rotel gear. I love the 10 series and so my Pre, CD source and four RB-1050's make up my rack. Power isolation via PowerVar and Rega turntable, I LOVE vinyl.

Moving forward, I've always had a love afair with light bulbs... Trust me, there are stanger addictions out there. Since I can remember, as a child in Ukraine, It was common to find me with pockets full of light bulbs. All sorts, sad to say, my whole collection was "lost" aka thrown out when we immigrated to the US. Not a bad trade off but I would like my bulbs back.. This I hope, prefaces the next part.

Sometime late last year, I heard a pair of B&W's that im familiar with but this time, they were running off monoblock tube amps and the sound gave me the feelings... Noticeably different, I was trapped. Since then, I've been on a quest to bring tube's to my home. Something about that soft amber glow under that shiny glass dome.. I know, I have issues..

Fast forward to recent times, I had a deal that I was excited about but it fell through. I found a pair of Primaluna Monoblocks locally and worked out a deal with the seller, I was ecstatic! This comes on the heels of buying a new pair of B&W CM8's so I was ready to be blown away!... Long story short, the seller ceased all communication the next day after agreeing to the deal. Wouldn't return my text messages, just disappeared....

I've done a lot of business on Craigslist in the past, most all my hobbies fall into the real of things that older men with too much time on their hands do such as audio or HAM radio. Never in my past has someone acted so crude and it really bothered me. A simple "I changed my mind, sorry man" would have sufficed, that's something that I would consider courtesy. I don't know why this single incident lingers with me, I really wanted those damn mono-blocks.

The only thing that will fix this pain is more tubes.. That can be the only solution so here I am.. I should mention that I am in the process of building PMillette's "Engineers Amp", the project got a boost in production ever since this incident, I guess its like therapy for me?

Anyways, I need guidance. I love the idea of DIY, always has been my go to. I've been reading a lot lately about the popular projects and LM35, KT88, KT120 and KT150 tubes keep coming up and I must say, I LOVE the KT120's, they are some pretty looking tubes. Let's be honest, we all want bigger tubes. After I finish Millette's Engineer's Amp, I plan to build his version of the Mono-blocks as well.

If you've read this far, congrats, this is my first publishing, signatures next weekend at barnes and noble. If you've got an idea to suggest, I would love to hear about diy projects using the KT120 or KT88 tubes. I don't think i'll need the power(?) of the KT150's. I would like to achieve around 30w RMS but that's a lot. I would be happy with about 20-25w RMS per block? Please advise.

By the way, for anyone that cares. My current speakers are a pair of KLM Studio Monitors, 686 S2's, 685's, 683 S3's and my newly acquired CM8's. Nothing out of left field but they sound great.

Post subject: Re: I need guidance....
PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 09:09 
Project Author

Can I have the short story? I'm not going to read all of that. Is there a point?

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 14:12 

mwhouston wrote:
Can I have the short story? I'm not going to read all of that. Is there a point?

LMAO,

well I want a KT88 amp with a zillion watts, but it has to sound absolutely fabulous..and I only want to spend 20pence or half a Euro.
Suggestions on a post card to... :D

Come now Mr Houston you must have a suggestion.. :smoking:

Ahh I see it all now sticky back plastic a rubber band and powered by a gerbil in a wheel..but wait why a gerbil.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 14:21 

M. Gregg wrote:
well I want a KT88 amp with a zillion watts, but it has to sound absolutely fabulous..and I only want to spend 20pence or half a Euro.

Seriously, half my custom build inquiries summed up >_<

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 15:15 

oops Saturday nite live?????

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 15:47 

steakhead wrote:
oops Saturday nite live?????

But of course, if you can't have fun perhaps its time to try wind surfing.. :D
All we are is dust in the wind..dude<<Bill and Ted esquire..

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 18:36 
Project Author

I would buy two of the (Millet I think) Uni-amp boards. This will work with a number of tubes. It's a push-pull board and with 88s, 120s or 150s you should get from 60 to 100W. The boards are good and easy to work with and cheap. More power means bigger power tranni and OPTs. Bigger means more cost too.

I have 99db efficient speakers so 2W is more than enough for me. That means SE UL amps with a selection of power tubes. But each to his own.