DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 10:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 15:24 

Hello all,

This is my first post here.
After realizing that my first DIY audio project came from here (solid State SE Mosfet Amp) I think its only right to hope and try to contribute something to this forum.
I am not the most conservative when it comes to traditions, but I do try to stay pure to the amp.

Anyway,
Here is the newest amp I just completed.
It is a SE Triode strapped 1625.
It is made with Goncalo Alves - a sustainable tropical wood that has a class A fire rating.
The sound is very clear and transparent with nice timbre.
I designed it to put out an estimated 5W, though I need to take measurements on it.
The power supply is a voltage doubler configuration using 2 3DG4 rectifiers.
I used mainly magnet wire due to it being solid and it's high voltage rating.
Cat VI wires are used for RCA to Potentiometer due to good copper and teflon dielectric.

It has a MOV (varisistor)voltage surge protector and a current limiter (thermistor) installed as well.

All Comments and questions are welcome.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 01:02 
Project Author

Firstly welcome to the forum. Let me start with the only bit, the only bit I don't like. I dislike bare frame trannies which are visible. Can you find a cover, do you care? Also cover the toroid while you at it.

BUT and its a BIG but, I love the amp. I think it looks excellent and has a retro feel about it. Never heard of the power tube and never heard of the timbre. But nice, really nice. Unusual way to connect partssections of the amps with the multi-way screw connectors, cant see the reason.

Good work keep it up.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 11:10 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I too like the look. I too would cover the trannies. A 1625 as I recall is the 12 volt version of the 807. A common power tube often found in old transmitters. Specs are similar to a 6L6G. Voltage ratings are a bit higher though.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 13:07 

Lovely build! :up:

gofar99 wrote:
Specs are similar to a 6L6G. Voltage ratings are a bit higher though.

And a heckuva lot tougher. As an RF version of the 6L6, it could take peak voltages that would make a 6L6 a plasma ball :hot:

But like the 807, it takes an oddball socket.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 17:13 

Hi all,

Thank you for the compliments.
I kept the transformers bare for cooling. The owner (my mother) likes the bare look. This is a transformer I have used for years on my amp...so I know it's good.

The terminal strips allow for easy tweaking, changes and repair. This is also the reason for separate transformers... if one were to go...only one would have to be replaced.

I had an owner of another amp I made put in the power tube wrong, due to a broken alignment pin. It popped a bypass capacitor. I easily replaced it without any soldering. Plus I tweaked the amp several times to mate specifically to his speakers.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 19:11 
Project Author

If it is a version of the 807 then it should be a good sounding amp. And if it's like a 6L6, a tube I have now fallen in love with, then it should be a very good sounding amp.

Once again a good looking build. What's next?

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 23:07 

Another Triode strapped SE is next.

Either a high voltage EL34.
Or high voltage 6BQ6/ 6DQ6....Maybe even 6146's.

I already started the Hickory chassis.
Maybe I should do a step by step.... Watcha think?

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 02:49 
Project Author

rcollege wrote:
Another Triode strapped SE is next.

Either a high voltage EL34.

I already started the Hickory chassis.
Maybe I should do a step by step.... Watcha think?

I'd go for an EL34 SE UL next. The 34s are excellent sounding tubes with the lushes mid-range ever.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 06:41 

x2 for EL34, because...

rcollege wrote:

Are trickier to build with and watch the screen voltages on those ;)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design