DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 20:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 13:57 

Hi Matt,
I was sorting my tube collections and found 4 pcs of C3g tubes i completely forgot about these tubes.Can you please design another headphone amp base on 5U4,6AS7G and c3g and can be controlled by 4S Preamp.Thanks Again!

Alex

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 00:34 
Project Author

Matt my Senhiesers are 32ohms. How well would this HP amp handle these.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 09:16 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
... my Senhiesers are 32ohms. How well would this HP amp handle these.
To be honest, I'm not sure. I did the testing of this stage with 65Ω loads but nothing lower. From the theory, it should be ok with distortion just slightly higher. But, as I said, I have not tested it.

In general, cathode follower stages are quite tolerant of load variations due to the 100% feedback inherent in the design. However, the output stage loss will be significantly higher. For driving low impedances (e.g. <50Ω) I would recommend using the design with the 4S style driver found here. This way, if overall gain is low, a higher gain driver tube may be chosen.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 15:19 

Sorry!to butt in regarding the 32 ohms headphone,I just tried my Philips Fidelio L1 26 ohms and these(6SN7 version) amp with the 4S drives it with no problem i actually like it because the amp is quieter with the L1,I have a slight hum when driving the HD650 but with the L1,AKG Q701 and Beyer Dynamic DT 880 600 ohms the amp is quiet.The HD650 is the most sensitive of all my headphones it's actually much sensitive than the L1 when i was comparing the L1 to the HD650 at the same volume level the HD650 is louder.

Alex

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 20:05 
Project Author

I had used my phones with another 6AS7 design where the 12AU7 is direct coupled and thought it OK. Alex, thanks for the comment.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 15:44 

Is it OK to run the 12SN7 with 6.3VAC?

Thanks!

Alex

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 15:48 

NO!
12SN7 is intended for 12,6V heater voltage. Want 6,3V, use 6SN7!

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 15:55 

The reason i asked i forgot that the tube on my amp socket is 12SN7 so i turned on the amp for 6SN7 it plays normal i did not hear any difference running the 12SN7 with the 6.3VAC i just realized this when i turned off the amp.Thanks! for your reply.

Alex

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 02:25 

I have read articles about tubes sounding "better" running on lower heater-V, but I also understood that running tubes at too low voltage slowly will kill them.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 05:13 

Soundbrigade wrote:
I have read articles about tubes sounding "better" running on lower heater-V, but I also understood that running tubes at too low voltage slowly will kill them.

Thanks for the info.

Alex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next